1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to register a new key using Techstream but the car doesn't detect the key press

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Norin, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Norin

Norin New Member

Hello everyone, A month ago, I have bought Toyota Prius 2008 that come with a single smart key. I have tried to register a new key multiple times using Techstream but I got no luck.

After I got the car connected with Techstream:
    1. I have tried to clean any Immobilizer Code that is diagnose with Techstream
    2. Since the car is already in Ready mode (sometime with a single press on Start button without pressing the brake) then nothing I need to do
    3. Turn off Smart Key function (the button on the left of the Reset Tire Pressure Light Warning button)

After that, I pressed Next to start the operation.
    1. Press the Lock button on the old key. The car is detected the key press and automatically go the the next screen.
    2. The screen asked to press both Lock and Unlock button at the same time on the new key. But the thing is, the car is never detect the key press.

So, I am not sure if I bought a wrong key or I did it wrong. I have tried insert the key into the key slot and when I go back to Immobilizer and I got B2795 (Unmatched Key Code).

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So what "new" key did you purchase, & where did you get it? Did you use the numbers on the back of your existing fob to choose the new one?

Does the little red light on the new fob flash when you push s button (ie, is the battery inside any good?)

Also, use Techstream and check how many keys are already registered to your car. Don't remember if it's 4 or 5 max.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Norin

Norin New Member

I bought the key from an online seller overseas since it's a lot cheaper than at local dealer. When I bought the key, the seller only ask about the model, year of the car, to confirm if my vehicle is a smart key or not, and photo of the key.

4. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  5. Norin

Norin New Member

Sadly I still couldn't get it working. I have tried both Chicken Dance method and using Techstream.