1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Undeleting the spare tire from a 4

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by lohikaarme, Oct 11, 2016.

1. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all the pictures. That last one tells me exactly what I'm wondering about. I'd like to use my car to go to astronomy events and I'd rather sleep in the car because it has air conditioning. I've been thinking of making a box to fit in the cargo area to even the floor. It looks fairly flat.

It also looks like there is a storage space for the cargo cover as well. Thanks so much for posting all this. This is the best way to go I think for the spare tire solution.

PtPri likes this.
  2. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    the only other thing to consider- with this setup there is still a drop into the trunk, it is not in line with the back seats and that is why the floor now has the flap on a little of an angle. In the old setup, the drop was more inches and it really didnt line up. This setup is the donut spare foam which is fine in my case because I had a donut spare. There is also a full size spare setup where the foam is high enough and side enough to support a full spare. The center foam isnt a panel either, it is a circular foam "box" that appears to screw down in the center of the wheel. How would this work with a donut? Not exactly sure, I suspect there will be extra gaps surrounding the tire but the concern would be how the center box would work.

Nevertheless it might being the floor right in line with the back seats as it comes up a little higher. I am, not sure what models get the full spare- It is a shame we cannot get pictures of it.

#14 is the circular box, see from the picture I used nothing like this in my setup. I am not sure what part numbers are for the full foam. When I went to the dealership to order the left and right foam the hangup was that he didnt know which one to give me without a vin at first. The confusion was not over a no spare version, he knew those part number. He could not figure out if it was the compact or regular tire I was trying to install. When I finally told him I did not need #14 he understood and picked out the right part numbers.

I raise this to consider because if you want everything totally flat back there with the seats, this might be the way and it will also possibly give extra room in the tire well for more storage. As I do not have any images or parts to test I cannot say for 100% certainty

upload_2016-10-21_8-22-52.png

homeplacePrius and kithmo like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When you have a chance, could you post an all-in cost for this? You mention using 3rd gen spare and hold-down bolt. Maybe clarify if the cost summary includes obtaining those, and if not, what you're looking at to also get them, retail.

I'm guessing it's pretty steep, whenever you buck the package deal it costs.

Thanks for documenting this. For me, I'm not interested in 4th gen, but if I was, after reading through this thread, I would just buy a level that comes with spare.

4. MichelleStone

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm thinking of building a replacement foam block for the back with storage compartments to carry stuff. I have a friend who builds custom body parts for Corvettes who has some good ideas. If I did this, I'd try to level the floor in back. As for the tire, I'll just make sure my rubber is always in great shape. I tend to purchase new tires long before they wear down to the wear marks anyway. I do live in an area without cell coverage so I do have concerns but .... I suppose keeping a spare tire in the garage can handle most of those.

5. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I cant really nail down the cost because i kept my spare and tiedown from the gen3. The foam was $500 but i did order the two outer pieces directly from a local dealer so tax plus list price. Probably can do the foam for $400 on the internet. I would budget $1000 to do this all from scratch

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've been driving for 30 years and have never been stranded by a flat tire. I had a nail once and drove to a repair shop for a plug. I live in an urban area... I have auto insurance, Toyota SafetyConnect, and a cell phone. iF I did ever have a flat I'm sure a repair truck would be minutes away.

My 4 touring has a repair kit in lieu of the spare tire. Unlike the OP, I would actually like to take the foam platform and various pieces of the repair kit OUT of the trunk, and lower the boot even more! If any of you Prius Chat folks have story to share, please reply.

PtPri and MrHookup like this.
  7. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I like to get myself out of jams, not rely on the kindness of others.
    Your life isnt over yet, you have been lucky so far but that doesnt mean the time isnt going to come.

For me, i actually drive my prius- long distance late at night in the middle of no where. At one time between ny and fl and now between ny and oh. Hence why i made the decisions i made regarding a spare. I suppose if all you do are little trips in broad daylight with service trucks a few minutes away it would be easier to gamble.

LPW916, homeplacePrius, RCO and 2 others like this.
  8. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    90% of my trips are work and errands in the urban bay area. The other 10% or so are trips into the wilderness. Northern California coast, Yosemite and the sierras, wilderness camping areas places far away from any cell tower or other communication. I guess I should be careful: carry a spare tire, food, water, blankets, flares, portable generator, first aid, camp stove, tent, survival books, change of clothes, umbrella, bicycle, Beverages, cooler, weather station, tow hitch, gas can, chairs and folding table, toiletries, telescope, towels, hand saw and socket wrench set, Bluetooth speaker, microphone, gps tracking unit, water purifier, car wash paint repair, bucket, shovel,

Or nothing. I'm going to gamble

MichelleStone likes this.
  9. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A spare donut wheel/tire from Tire Rack (or even a junkyard) bagged, wedged and strapped behind the passenger seat for the long remote trips, across Montana and the like, and I'll rest a little easier. Couple hundred bucks for peace of mind. I've had two horrible unfixable flats in the Gen3, and couldn't have limped back home without the spare. But highly modifying the car to stow it and spending 4 figures to do it? Man, that's crazy!

MichelleStone and RCO like this.
  10. MrHookup

MrHookup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Im with Tucats, I'd rather remove my spare and have more storage below like the 2010 i had before! I was thinking of making some type of container to fit under in place of the spare.

tucatz likes this.
  11. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    This is idiotic.

In fact instead of hijacking my thread detailing how to do this for the people that want to do this, how about you start a poll thread to get your shared stories?

12. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    • You're right, apologies. Best of luck with your Prius mods, and best to you, hopefully many trouble free miles. :barefoot:

Andyprius1 and bisco like this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am sure you can find a buyer here on PriusChat See this thread for one user, @Mike R.
    Need a compact spare for a two eco | PriusChat

RCO likes this.
  14. lohikaarme

lohikaarme Troll

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    first 5000 miles down tire rotation complete and I have to say it was really nice having a spare to help in the process. Having all the tools the whole procedure only took 20 minutes.

Spare Nay-Sayer: but you have two years of Toyota free service

Me: Yes but I actually enjoy working on my own car (hassel of dealership appointment aside). I even do my own *gasp* oil changes. Seriously with the amount of modifications I have performed on my own car do I seem like the type to have simple services like this performed by a dealership even if it is free?

On a side note- I can confirm the spare off a 3rd gen prius fits and works without an issue.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've found hands down the simplest DIY tire rotation method, if you can swing it, is to put the whole car on jackstands, then swap away, lol.

Be sure to partially loosen all lug nuts before raising, to avoid shaking the car excessively when on the stands. Ditto, for final torquing: snug them solidly when the car's raised, but leave final torque to when it's back on the ground.

PtPri, RCO and kithmo like this.
  16. Barracudamuscle

Barracudamuscle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Great post OP, I appreciate your documenting your mod! tagged for future consideration

17. MichelleStone

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I still want to do this project but I keep getting tied up with typical household maintenance items that seem to get dumped in my lap all at once.

I've had three flats during my driving years and they were all catastrophic to the tire. Since I live outside cell phone range, I'm still very nervous about not having a spare.

ADodds and RCO like this.
  18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO , you need a new manslave to do so the city work for you. ;)

19. MichelleStone

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No manslaves for me. ;)

RCO likes this.
  20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah yes, man marries a woman believing she won't change and she does...
    .. whereas a woman marries a man, believing he will change and he doesn't!

:cool::love: