1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Up arrow button no longer clicks (is "mushy")...

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Insighter, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After just five months of ownership, the up arrow button on the "meter control switches" (on the right side of the Prime Advanced's steering wheel, the one on the circular control with the button in the middle) has stopped feeling responsive. Instead of clicking like all of the other direction arrows, it is now mushy. It still functions somewhat, but it is very easy to have it start responding as though you have pressed it multiple times.

There is also some sort of odd gooey substance on the top of the button that you can see when the bottom arrow is pressed (photos attached).

I did some searching but haven't found anything about this. I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow for warranty service, but I like to know as much as I can in advance. Anyone know what this might be or experienced anything like this?
    broken-arrow-button.jpg

2. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    i had a 2008 civic that did that with the cruse control buttons. turns out my friend spilled red bull on the steering wheel. instead of giving it wings it dried and made everything extremely sticky with yellow residue like that. . i couldn't uses it. it would speed up / slow down randomly b/c the buttons were "being held down" ended up taking the airbag out, taking the buttons out, and taking them apart and cleaning them meritoriously.

Insighter likes this.
  3. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ha, interesting point. I thought about that (if it could be any sort of contamination from me). I don't think it can be. I don't eat in the car, and the only drinks I've had in it are water, unsweetened tea and Diet Pepsi. If I had gotten anything on the button, I would've been cleaning it off quickly, and I would've used a toothpick or something to clear out that remaining residue. I'm pretty sure that if that is some foreign substance, it must be something from the dealer or the 12v shop I take it to. And the dealer is the only place I've had it at recently. I guess it does sort of look like grease.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I agree, it looks like grease/lubricant...

5. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, the only service I've had done was an early oil change at the dealership a couple of weeks ago. If that's what it is, they must have done it. I haven't done any kind of work on the car or anything else since I bought it that would involve grease. Besides which I would never touch anything in my car with grease or anything like that on my hands.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, no no....not what I meant. Many electrical items like switches, etc are assembled with a small amount of grease. It may be that your switch got a bit of excess during assembly.

7. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That makes sense, too, I suppose. But I don't recall having this problem with it before, and I think I would have noticed. Then again, I don't use that switch much.

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If your going to ask your service adviser I'd be a bit sneaky about it and ask if they have heard anything like what you are seeing and keep your fingers crossed.

ps; I'm sorry about what happened last month after you answered my question in another thread.
    I agree that tier pricing can be way off and maybe the new California initiative of Solar on all new houses will work in everyones favor and not just for those who can afford to buld new on the Coast. :wink

9. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not sure what you're saying about the service advisor. This is a warranty issue. Either the grease was already there and something went wrong (or was wrong and I simply didn't notice until now, which I doubt), or they somehow got grease in there.

As for the other thread, there's no need to be sorry. Logic is logic, facts are facts. Some people just want to be provocative.

10. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    He’s saying you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

11. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Oh, I'm just going to go in with the attitude of, "Gee, look what's happening here" and not try to assign any blame on it. I'll post again when they tell me something later today.

12. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I took my Prime in to the dealership and they told me they'd need it for a few hours so that they could photograph it and send photos and a description of the problem to Toyota, who would then tell them what to do. About seven hours later they called me and told me it was all taken care of. I asked them how, and they said that Toyota told them to take it apart and clean it, which they did, and it was working fine.

I was dubious of that claim, but, when I showed up, it was working fine. I pressed them for more details and asked them if the grease was something that was part of the way the unit was designed (in other words, if it was leaking from behind). They said it wasn't, that it came from the front.

They didn't charge me for it, but I did explain to them that I haven't done anything involving grease for over a year, and the only grease I have is red lithium grease that I use with a rotary hammer. Their response was not to worry, they took care of it.

I know I didn't get grease or whatever that was in there. I wouldn't touch that steering wheel with anything on my hands (who knows what something as simple as the residue from hand sanitizer could do to the the Softex stuff the steering wheel is wrapped in). I had never noticed this problem before, and I had the oil changed at the dealership about two weeks ago, so I know it happened there. One of the techs handled my steering wheel with dirty hands and when he got grease on that button assembly, he just wiped it off some from the front instead of dealing with the problem he had created or washing his hands.

They did fix it for free, but it cost me $40 in Uber rides and part of my day. Now I feel like I'm going to have to go over my car with a fine tooth comb every time I have it serviced.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    join the club.:( i only go to the dealer for warranty. and even then they scrape the paint or get grease on the inside.

14. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ugh. I understand that the place to go to avoid that is Audi. I hear their dealership mechanics and service experience are the best.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I bet that is due to plenty of experience ;).

The couple that have been owned in our family have had a serious drinking problem :cool:.

Good to know(y).

16. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A serious drinking problem?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A quart of oil every gas tank fill:eek:.

And they redid the whole piston ring system twice:(.

Let’s just say that lesson of ownership has been learned(y).

18. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ah, yes. It would only be a better dealership experience I'd be wanting, not an Audi vehicle.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i used to hear that about lexus dealers, white glove service and all that.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They do call their inspection a “World Class inspection”:rolleyes:.

bisco likes this.