1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Upgrading to HID headlights.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by guitarguy308, Sep 13, 2013.

1. guitarguy308

guitarguy308 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys I know theres a ton of topics on this already. I am very amateur when it comes to mods especially lighting. I have a 2008 prius with halogens. They just arent bright enough. I really want to put in some HID but will probably take it somewhere a buddy recommended. But I want to be informed when I go so I get simply tell him this is what I want. If you could recommend which lights I should like at color temp etc. I have seen the mini H1 thrown around a lot on here. Also I have seen some people go with the black housing and Im pretty sure I want to go with that too as I like the results Ive seen. Again any info on how this is done what I would need etc.

Also I have seen people talking about retrofitting. I have no idea what that is. So if someone could explain it. Also what the differences are for doing that vs not.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you got Toyota HID headlight assemblies, that would be legal in the US. No HIDs using your current headlight assemblies would be legal in the US, as they aim badly.

Ebay may make this cheaper than ordering from a Toyota Dealer would be.

xpcman likes this.
  3. guitarguy308

guitarguy308 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I was going to probably take it somewhere that does this professionally. I don't have the housing for hid headlights I have the stock halogen ones. But I was planning on doing whatever to customize this. I don't necessarily want to go the cheapest route to get hid. I want projector style hid lights. But I want a great light for a decent price. I don't want the cheapest but I don't need the best. Something middle of the road where I'm not going to want to be like oh I want to upgrade again to something better

4. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a 2008 that came with the OEM HID setup. I wasn't happy with the brightness or the beam pattern although it was still way better than those with the OEM halogen setup. Because I didn't want to rush the project, I bought a halogen headlamp assembly and retrofited the Mini H1 and blacked out my housing. I used a 55w 6000k DDM tuning HID kit and think the upgrade is well worth the time and money spent. It is more appealing asthetically and more functional. My other mods are hyperlinked In my signature...

Check out the thread: My Headlight Mods: Mini H1, Blacked Housing and LEDs | PriusChat

5. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Daves09prius likes this.