1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Used Key Fob Programming Revisited (2010 Model)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Baryonyx, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello!

I have some questions on this topic, but it looks like the previous thread (located here) is several years old. (Please forgive me if this post is a bother, I didn't want to necro-post!)

I have a second-hand used fob for my 2010 Prius (rip original owner's though, it was totaled) that I wanted to keep as a spare. When I bought my car (certified preused) from the dealership, I was only given one fob (with an incorrectly cut key inside of it, sadly).

A year or so ago,I tried to have the same dealership reprogram my newly acquired used one, a service for which they informed me they charge $65 for (even if it doesn't work). I think it might have been because I was already there spending quite a bit of money getting a dozen other things done already, but when it didn't work, they didn't charge me (thank goodness!) They did mention that they had even called Toyota directly, and either they couldn't or wouldn't (I don't remember their wording) do it either.

My questions are:

-Is there now a way to get Toyota to reprogram 2010 model fobs?
    -If Toyota won't/can't, is it possible for me to do it myself?
    -Does anyone know someone they trust in the Portland Oregon area that does this if I'm unable to?

Thanks, y'all!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    You need a virgin unprogramed remote for it to work, using techstream

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't seem to figure out how to edit my original post, but the one I tried to link seems to suggest there was at least a way to reprogram one in the past (or rather, the car to accept it). I'm curious if it still works, or if another method is better.
    Successful SKS Reset using Mangoose cable and used Keyfob registration | PriusChat