1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VSC, ABS & (!)???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Graz, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello!

I have had 180,000 uninterrupted miles of smiles. Till I went to run an errand at lunch today. The VSC, ABS and (!) came on. The small (!) without the big red triangle. I plugged in my bluetooth OBDII scanner, turned on "Torque" and found no codes. I stopped at the store. Came out and started the car. No warning lights. 30 feet away. All three came on again.

Any thoughts?

TIA

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might need tech stream w/mini vci.

Raytheeagle and valde3 like this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Ashy Anklez

Ashy Anklez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Same thing happen to my car.....what did you find out? I guess I need to order techstream and software.

SFO likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The point of getting the Techstream set-up is so you can find out what the issue is with your car. There's not much point asking other people what they found out, until you have the trouble codes from your situation. Then you can look for other posts with the same set of codes, and ask those people what they found out.

You get the same lights on the dash for all kinds of different trouble codes. Even once you have the codes, you still have diagnosis to do (each code only tells you something the computer noticed, not why that something happened), but at least then you can compare troubleshooting procedures with others who have the same codes, on the understanding that the underlying problem may still turn out to be different.

Since you have brake system codes, there is an easy way to get abridged, two-digit versions before you have a Techstream set-up in place, just by using a short wire and counting blinks. A forum search should find you the process. I recommend getting and posting that information ASAP, while knowing you can get more complete information via Techstream later.

-Chap

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not a mechanic but one thing it could be is the Brake Actuator issue. Info on it below. Unfort we are just days past the extended warranty period, I wonder if Toyota would consider this a grace period and cover? Anyways check other things like 12v etc.

Brake Actuator Assem - Warranty Enhancement | PriusChat

bisco likes this.
  7. flippo

flippo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wouldn't count on it.

I had a brake actuator issue pop up on December 27th, with the symptoms seen by a Toyota Dealer, but they couldn't get all the right codes because of a low 12V battery - they said the low voltage codes were making it impossible to get the brake actuator codes. They replaced the battery, and the issue came back on December 31st. The dealer validated the issue and codes were right for warranty replacement on January 8th. Warranty repair declined by Toyota.

wjtracy likes this.
  8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ This is what I'm talking about (in the other thread), WJ. You seem to have this actuator problem stuck in your head. There are no symptoms of this problem mentioned (by either poster) and all you are doing by mentioning it is creating static to clutter/derail the thread.

Guess what, I have had those lights come on (and more) and also guess what? It had nothing to do with the brake actuator. It was in fact an intermittent fault in the inverter DC/DC converter. Guess how I knew? I read the codes.

I will ask you again, please do not offer this advice unless symptoms are consistent with the problem.

#8 dolj, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still do not understand your attitude.
    The moderators here do not have a rule that we have to route our advice thru DOLJ in New Zealand for approval prior to posting. Yes the Brake Acutator issue is one I try to focus on, and at the moment, it is of re-newed interest to me to point out as of Dec_31, 2017 our extended warranty in the United States has just worn off. I am worried about my own car.

Your approach should not be to attack me or other posters, but if you feel bad advice has been given, you can say something like...to the OP...as a Prius mechanic I do not feel this is a Brake Actuator issue...I'd check some other things first. And then we'd all be happy. We are all just trying to help the posters or readers who may have similar issues. Normally I do not post unless I think there is something to say.

PS- I lived 5 month in New Plymouth years ago

#9 wjtracy, Jan 10, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clearly.
    That is not what I'm saying.
    The is patently obvious, but I reiterate my main point; just because those lights are on does not mean the problem is the actuator. Each of those lights could have hundreds of codes that will set them. This means there could be 300+ possible problems. It is not possible to diagnose a problem on the basis of any combination of lights being illuminated. So, without codes or derivability symptoms to provide more information, it is just pointless to specualte. So that is my other point and polite request. Please don't speculate.
    It is not an attack, just a polite request. I'm sorry you feel this way.
    Yes, but why should anyone have to clear up misinformation and further try and get the thread back on track. It is better if people can exercise restrain at the outset.
    But in fact, by posting misinformation, you are not helping and can even derail the thread.
    How do you know they are similar in the absence of DTCs to indicate what the problem is.
    That is not how it comes across.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be anything but polite in asking for consideration, for both the OP and the people trying to diagnose the problem, to be exercised. Rest assured, if the symptoms fit the accumulator being suspect, it will be mentioned. I hope this clears up my position a little. If not, oh well!

#10 dolj, Jan 10, 2018
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean actuator, right?

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle: