1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Walmart now carries the Prius Prime battery—EverStart MAXX 140R

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gokhan, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Good news! You can get an EverStart MAXX 140R Prius Prime battery at Walmart now!

Group size: BCI 140R (equivalent to EN LN1 and DIN H4)
    Reserve capacity: 95 minutes (OEM reserve capacity: 76 minutes, AC Delco AGM reserve capacity: 80 minutes)
    CCA: 480 A (OEM CCA: 445 A, AC Delco CCA: 520–560 A (depending on the supplier))
    Price: $149.84
    Date of manufacture: 2023/03
    Made in South Korea

This battery easily beats both the OEM battery and AC Delco AGM battery. I also like the non-AGM batteries better because you can top of the electrolyte with distilled water.

EverStart MAXX batteries have been consistently top-rated by Consumer Reports.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 Gokhan, Apr 1, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    wrtboy168, amhouin, john1701a and 4 others like this.
  2. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Maybe I missed it, but I'm not finding this 140R on WalMart's website...

Gokhan likes this.
  3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I took these pictures around 9:45 PM on Friday, March 31, 2023, at my town's Walmart. I don't know the online situation.

Marine Ray likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wonder what's up with the splatters.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    leaky roof at walmart, just trying to prepare it for a prius

Kasra and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That is a pretty short sighted opinion.

An AGM battery isn't built to add water.......because it does not LOSE any......EVER, unless severely over charged or damaged.

Also the construction and chemistry makes it a longer lasting investment in most cases.

AGM is without question a better technology.......but the quality of the build can vary some.

7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You made your comments based on theory—not real-life data.

While AGM batteries can be great in many respects, some of the very worst-performing batteries in life tests in Consumer Reports' testing were also AGM batteries. So, if you are out of luck, you may pay more for an AGM battery but get worse life. Contrarily, there were also flooded lead–acid batteries that were top performers.

In particular, ACDelco Professional 65AGMHR battery Consumer Reports tested was at the bottom in life tests in group-size BCI 65. So, consider again before you opt for the ACDelco EN LN1 AGM battery for Prius Prime.

#7 Gokhan, Apr 4, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I wondered what it was. The batteries are locked behind bars and you can't grab them and pull them off the shelf. I wonder if some electrolyte leaked, perhaps from another battery above? Or rat pee that could be used as a battery electrolyte substitute? Anything is possible at Walmart though.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. EdPalmer42

EdPalmer42 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I agree with your comments. In addition, the PP is a particularly nasty environment for an AGM battery. Proper charging requires careful adjustment of charging voltage with changes in temperature to ensure that the battery is neither over nor under charged. The PP uses a fixed charging voltage of ~14V4 regardless of temperature. Yes, an AGM has a limited ability to recombine the H2 and O2 gases that are generated during an overcharge, but there are limits. Meanwhile, if you live in a cold climate, the fixed voltage will undercharge the battery leading to sulfation. In general, it's easier to address these problems with a flooded-cell battery, particularly the OEM one with its removable caps, than with an AGM battery.

On the other hand, the load requirements on the battery are very benign. Startup only requires something in the range of 25A which is ridiculously low by automotive standards. So even a degraded battery will work in a PP where it would fail miserably in an ICE-only car. Keep this in mind when the battery tester says that your battery needs to be replaced.

Bottom line is that AGM batteries don't have an advantage in the PP and the typically higher cost means that it's probably not economical.

Ed

Gokhan likes this.
  10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No it wasn't.

I've been using AGM batteries for about 30 years, since shortly after they first came out and have never been disappointed.
    Cars, trucks, boats and lawn mowers and about 20 different bikes.

Also, Consumer Reports has done some pretty BAD reviews lately so their overall reputation is sagging a bit.

And finally, the battery market is being "flooded" with cheap Chinese made batteries recently so you need to pay attention to where your new battery was made......and when.

IF you buy cheap, then that is what you get: Cheap, poorly made goods.

11. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You can believe whatever you want but you are dead wrong.

The simple fact that they don't require the addition of any water is a definite advantage........because how can you expect owners who can't figure out how to check their oil to know that they need to check their battery too.
    And the ones who do figure that out likely will add mineral laden tap water.
    And the ones who don't figure it out likely will end up running it dry and cutting it's life in half.

Then there is the corrosion caused by battery acid fumes.

The AGM design and chemistry is unquestionably better in almost all applications.

12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am inclined to trust systematic tests by the team of engineers at Consumer Reports more than anecdotal remarks.

13. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Most of the people at CR are journalists.
    I suspect that few or none of them are real engineers.

Have a look here:
    Battery University Homepage
    Search for AGM.
    "AGM technology became popular in the early 1980s as a sealed lead acid battery for military aircraft, vehicles and UPS to reduce weight and improve reliability."

But you can believe whatever you want.

14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  15. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    OK.....and what about the reference that I suggested ?
    I think it would be good if you expanded your horizons a little bit.

16. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I—including everyone else on this discussion board—already knew how to use the Google search before you sent that link. There is no need to provide information that is already easily accessible there.

We pointed out that your blanket statement of an AGM battery always being better than a flooded lead–acid battery was false—in fact far from being true—and I pointed out to actual laboratory-performance tests that there is a significant overlap in performance of AGM and flooded batteries—only to be dismissed by you claiming that they were done by journalists. If you resort to foul-mouthing established organizations and claim that you know better without having any credentials yourself, you automatically lose an argument.

17. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I really don't enjoy these:" How dare you question my considered opinion on anything" discussions.
    Believe whatever you want. That will not make it true.

18. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Note that Gen 5 requires proper venting on the 12-V battery. Insert the exhaust hose into the vent hole on the negative-terminal side. Note that some aftermarket batteries do not come with proper vent holes—do not buy them for Gen 5. I did not check the vent holes on EverStart MAXX 140R. Make sure to plug the vent hole on the positive-terminal side on the aftermarket battery, as aftermarket batteries come with vent holes on both sides.

Also note that an oversized battery won't fit in Gen 5 due to the rigid hold-down clamp.
    [​IMG]

#18 Gokhan, Apr 8, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    AGM batteries vent, too. They have the same vent holes on the sides to insert the exhaust hose for trunk-installed batteries such as in Gen 5 Prius.

As I said, quality of AGM batteries varies with the manufacturer, and EverStart Maxx 140R advanced flooded battery beats the ACDelco LN1 AGM battery because it has a much higher reserve capacity—95 minutes vs. 80 minutes. The reserve capacity is the most critical feature for Prius.

EverStart batteries are made by Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls). If Walmart ever starts (no pun intended) to carry an EverStart Platinum H4/LN1/140R AGM battery, we will check its reserve capacity (RC). However, EverStart Platinum H5, which is 17% larger than H4, has only a 100-minute RC. Therefore, I suspect that an EverStart Platinum H4 would have an 85-minute RC. Currently, I would choose EverStart Maxx 140R (95-minute RC) over AcDelco LN1 AGM (80-minute RC).

In fact, I also looked at the ACDelco battery catalog, and it lists its LN1 AGM at 80-min RC vs. 90-min RC for its LN1 flooded. Therefore, it looks like flooded batteries have a higher RC than AGM batteries and hence more suitable for Prius in general.

#19 Gokhan, Apr 8, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  20. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The "vent" in an AGM battery is a pressure release valve.
    It is NOT vented in normal operation.
    Not one that is made correctly , that is.
    All bets are off with cheap knock-offs.