1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Walmart now carries the Prius Prime battery—EverStart MAXX 140R

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gokhan, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does US Walmart website allow you to enter your vehicle stat's, and it shows any compatible battery? Or it's not that advanced? Doesn't seem to be thus up here in Canada.

Gokhan likes this.
  2. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The US Walmart website not only does that, but it includes the Canadian trims, too.

2021 Prius Prime Limited battery on the Walmart website

I think they renamed their redesigned EverStart Maxx H4 Everstart MAXX 140R, which I pictured here.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Canadian site is useless, just shows every thing with the word "battery", no sorting. Includes automotive, golf cart, double AA and so on. Searching the CDN site for "S46B24R" (spec for .my 2010) has no results. You guys have a much better availability, at least in this case.

US site found my battery right away:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Platinum-AGM-Automotive-Battery-Group-Size-S46B24R-12-Volt-410-CCA/1247321234?from=searchResults

A little trip down to Blaine, Washington, lol: $160 USD converts to $217 CDN, versus $286 CDN for Canadian Tire's option:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-agm-group-size-s46b24r-battery-325-cca-0105122p.html?loc=plp

Still, bit more of a drive, and "might" get hit with duty.

#23 Mendel Leisk, Apr 8, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
    Gokhan likes this.
  4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    These are some of the notes from the 2023 owner's manual. I highlighted the parts that may be ignored in red.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

■When replacing the 12-volt battery
    ●Use a 12-volt battery that conforms to European regulations.
    ●Use a battery that the case size is same as the previous one (LN1), 20-hour-rate capacity (20HR) is equivalent (45 Ah) or greater, and performance rating (CCA) is equivalent (285A) or greater.
    • If the sizes differ, the 12-volt battery cannot be properly secured.
    • If the 20-hour-rate capacity is low, even if the time period where the vehicle is not used is a short time, the 12-volt battery may discharge and hybrid system may not be able to start.
    ●Use a ventilation type calcium battery.
    ●Use a 12-volt battery with a handle.
    If a 12-volt battery without a handle is used, removal is more difficult.
    ●When removing the 12-volt battery:
    P.512
    ●After replacing, firmly attach the following items to the exhaust hole of the 12-volt battery.
    • Use the exhaust hose that was attached to the 12-volt battery before replacing and confirm that it is firmly connected to the hole section of the vehicle.
    • Use the exhaust hole plug included with the 12-volt battery replaced or the one installed on the battery prior to the replaced [sic*].
    (Depending on the 12-volt battery to be replace [sic*], the exhaust hole may be plugged.)
    *This is really awful English by the Toyota manual writer. He/she is trying to say that there are two vent holes, one of which (the one on the positive side) must be plugged and the exhaust hose must be inserted into the other one (the one on the negative side). He/she is saying that sometimes the new batteries come with a vent hole plugged, sometimes a plug is included in a bag as an accessory, or sometimes it is not included at all, and you should recycle the plug from the old battery if necessary to plug the vent hole on the positive side.

For details, consult your Toyota dealer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 20-hour-rate capacity for the OEM battery is 45 Ah. For both ACDelco LN1 AGM and ACDelco LN1 flooded, it is 50 Ah. I do not know the 20-hour-rate capacity for EverStart Maxx 140R or H4.

5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    EverStart is made by Clarios (formerly Johnson Controls); so, you have more assurance on quality. They both spec 45 Ah like the OEM Yuasa. (The Canadian Tire one actually specs 46 Ah, but that would be insignificant given the uncertainty in the measurement.)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I like how the CCA is prominently displayed as if that matters in a Prius. When I owned a Leaf I read a swap from a 12V Lead Acid to a lithium polymer battery and was pretty impressed. A fraction of the weight and size with much better reserve capacity. The hardest part was to wire in the charging circuit. The one I saw was setup to only charge to 80% capacity for maximum battery life.

7. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found this one at my local Walmart. Believe it's the same thing,

IMG_2652.jpeg

Gokhan likes this.
  8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is the same group size and will definitely correctly fit in the Prius/Prius Prime.

However, it is obviously a different battery if you compare the pictures. I don't know which one is better. Mine seems a little more streamlined and perhaps is an updated design, but we don't know. Yours also costs $10 more. In any case, it should be a good replacement for the OEM battery.

Were you able to take a pic of the top label with the specs and date sticker?

9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The Walmart EverStart Maxx Prius/Prius Prime 140R battery also conveniently has a vent-hole plug (the little red plug in the pictures), which is a must for the Gen 5 Prius/Prius Prime, as one of the vent holes needs to be plugged and the other one needs to be connected to the drain hose for the trunk-installed battery. Some batteries may come without proper vent holes or plugs.

In fact, the red vent-hole plug must be swapped to the vent hole on the right side so that the vent hose can be connected to the vent hole on the left side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#29 Gokhan, May 14, 2023
    Last edited: May 14, 2023
  10. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That’s good to know. Walmart is open almost all the time. Good price on it. No vent needed under the hood, but wonder if it fits the 2023, as you said you didn’t notice. Why I wonder is unknown as my new to me 2020 is hopefully the last car I own. Like it a lot.
    Daughters 09 Camry hybrid 12 v has a vent and a sensor connection, dealer battery. I replaced hers, the old one was Panasonic dated in 2008. New one in 2022 was also Panasonic, identical, plug and play.
    I see now you updated the vent question. No sensor feedback, probably for temp, like the Camry hybrid?

11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, the Gen 5 Prius/Prime battery is also BCI 140R/DIN H4/EN LN1.

The Gen 5 battery has a vent hose, as the battery is in the trunk.

The battery sensor for Gen 4/Gen 5 is located in the battery terminal, not in the battery itself.

The strange thing is that the Walmart online battery catalog does not list the 140R battery. So, no one may know that this battery fits in the Prius. It is also strange that EverStart typically puts all three group sizes (BCI/DIN/EN) on the label, but this is not the case with this battery. As a result, this battery could end up staying on the shelf.

12. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    They list it for mine, the H4, which also says 140r. I can see some holes on the side, but no red cap. So the one you saw is the latest for the new model possibly. They will get to listing the vented one, if it is indeed specified for the 2023 Prius. So mine listed as H4 would be $159. Or all may be the vented in time.
    I would get it at the dealer as they have an 84 month warranty, prorated in two tiers, they say. WM is more convenient but the price for me is the same. Not likely I will need one soon, so I ask myself why am I even talking about this. I charge mine if the car, any car, sits more than two days.

#32 Mr.Vanvandenburg, May 14, 2023
    Last edited: May 14, 2023
    Gokhan and bisco like this.
  13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is a newer model than the H4 they had. However, they should have written 140R/H4/EN1 on it like the old model. Few people know that 140R is the same as EN1 in the owner's manual. The online catalog does not list a battery for 2023 and only lists the H4 model for 2022 and earlier.

14. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My local Walmart has both the 140R and the H4. Which is the right one for the 2018 Prime? At my most recent oil change the battery was listed as low. I know it isn't going to make it through winter. Not surprised as it is over 5 years old now. Toyota quoted me 250 for a new one and I'm like "I don't think so"

Gokhan likes this.
  15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    BCI 140R, DIN H4, and EN LN1 are equivalent sizes.

That said, the EverStart Maxx 140R seems to be an updated model and the EverStart Maxx H4 seems to be an older model; so, I would go with the EverStart Maxx 140R. Moreover, check the manufacturing-date sticker on the battery and ensure that it is fresh.

For generations that require vent holes for exhaust tubes—typically the trunk-installed ones—the EverStart Maxx 140R certainly has them.

Zed Ruhlen likes this.
  16. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looks like 140R it is then. Thank you.

Gokhan likes this.
  17. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    As a matter of interest, why are you looking at a 2023 Prius battery? Did it fail?

18. Zed Ruhlen

Zed Ruhlen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mine is the 2018 Prime, not the 2023.

19. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    On Walmart's website, EverStart Maxx H4 is showing 55 RC, which is 30 Ah. That is ridiculously low. If it is a typo and they meant 55 Ah, that corresponds to 100 RC, which is really good. EverStart Maxx 140R is 95 RC, which is 52 Ah. OEM Yuasa is 45 Ah, which is 82 RC. ACDelco LN1 AGM is 80 RC, which is 44 Ah; therefore, it does not meet Toyota's minimum requirement of 45 Ah. RC/Ah is critical for Prius Prime.