1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warped plastic on rear quarter panel (?)

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NinjaG, May 9, 2021.

1. NinjaG

NinjaG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually don't know what this area is a called - it is the plastic triangle behind the rear doors. The driver's side has this warping. Has anyone seen this or knows what causes it? Is there a vent under that could be blocked and causing heat damage? I rarely drive these days so the car spends most of the time in my driveway. The car is only about 1.5 years old.

Attached Files:

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you park next to glass sheathed high rise buildings or glass panes coated in reflective treatments?

Sunlight reflected off such buildings/surfaces can melt plastic trim on cars and looks exactly like what you have.

If that's the case, you could take it up with the building management to try and get them to cover the cost of replacing the panel or help cover the cost of repair.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. NinjaG

NinjaG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it is good to hear you had that thought too because it means I'm not completely crazy. Unfortunately I don't think that is it. The only glass anywhere near my car is the windows of a scion that parks next to me. Our driveway is covered in trees so always shady (hence the pollen on everything) and even then, it has been mostly cloudy here the past few days (when this had to have happen). It was parked in a parking lot at work for about 20 mins, but even there the only glass would be from other cars. I'm at a complete loss as to what could have caused it!

I just saw your link - that is crazy! We don't have any buildings like that around here though.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, be on the lookout for someone prowling the neighborhood with a giant magnifying glass, or a heat gun... ;)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.