1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warranty & DIY Maintainance

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dave121, Jun 13, 2019.

1. dave121

dave121 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think my Prime came with 2 years of factory service, but I live far enough from a dealership that its a real inconvenience to make the trip. I'm wondering if I rotate the tires and change my own oil - something I've done many times - would it affect or void the 3-year bumper to bumper warranty on the car?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NO! You are still covered.

3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Keep your receipts.

Elektroingenieur and Max Taiwan like this.
  4. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Agree with above. No impact on your warranty coverage. Keep receipts for the parts and a maintenance logbook and this will be your proof of maintenance.

This is a typical entry in my maintenance logbook - one is kept in the glovebox of each car.

2019-06-13 12.43.12.jpg

#4 jb in NE, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  5. dave121

dave121 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thank all.

Agree, records are good. I keep a tab in a Google spreadsheet for each car we have, and log the date, mileage, service, and cost. In the same sheet I keep a table of important part numbers (usually filters, and fluid types), and torque values that come up regularly. Nice thing is I can access it from multiple devices, and look up part #s while shopping. For the Prime I added a table to log fill-ups (gals, milage, etc), and have a comparison section that shows the equivalent cost to run my old car.

#5 dave121, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    jb in NE and Salamander_King like this.
  6. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you really want to make your DIY maintenance warranty-claim-denied proof, then take photos as you work. Then there can be no doubt that the maintenance was actually done on that date.

Total overkill though, and I've never had a squawk on any DIY work during a warranty period.

7. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can keep track of DIY and 3rd party maintenance on Welcome to Toyota Owners. It makes it super convenient for a future buyer to see the service history since everything from the dealer and everything you add is in one place and electronic.

8. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My problem with this is I don't want to share any of it with Toyota (or anybody else). That's why I keep a paper logbook in the glovebox. When I put the car for sale, I show them the log and it goes with the car.

9. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The Warranty & Maintenance Guide (PDF) says on page 30, “You may have maintenance performed on your vehicle by any qualified person or facility.” If the car were to be damaged during maintenance, or as a result of improper maintenance, that wouldn’t be covered, however; see page 14.
    That’s true, but I believe only the information supplied by Toyota dealers will be visible to future owners. @schja01 and @jb in NE make good suggestions to keep a logbook and the receipts for materials.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I didn't mention it, but I keep a hanging folder file with all receipts for purchases and work done. Original purchase paperwork, warranty work, alignments, tires, purchased accessories, any letters or correspondence, registrations, etc. For my 7 year old VW the file was 1" thick. Our 2010 Subaru file is nearly as thick.