1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warranty & Maintenance Guide

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bruceha_2000, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The ECU information cannot be used to program a fob. It is just for pairing if I recall correctly. @Elektroingenieur may have more details.

Salamander_King likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I seem to remember that they can use Techstream to program a new fob from scratch, but they punish you severely in the wallet for your foolishness. I'll also wait for someone more knowledgable like @Elektroingenieur to come along and clear the fog.

3. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah. I think they need to reseed the system in the car completely.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know the difference between programing a fob vs. pairing a fob. If a virgin fob specific for PRIME is "paired" with the car, doesn't it open and close doors (SKS) and start the car? Out of fear of loosing both fobs, I thought of purchasing an extra fob and make a copy of physical key. My plan was to hide the physical key outside of the car and keep the fob inside of the car with battery removed. This way, even if I loose the fob I carry with me, I can always unlock the door and drive the car. However after I found out the cost of an extra fob (and key) is ~$500 at a dealer, I decided to purchase a virgin fob from eBay. I got one for ~$100. The problem is, none of the dealers nor locksmith I checked with will program (or pair?) the fob not purchased from them. I don't have a working Techstream to DIY. :(

#24 Salamander_King, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't know about the Prime but the used '06 my daughter bought in Sept '17 came with only one smart key. I was able to buy a new one with a blank key on Amazon and program it. WAYYYYYY cheaper than the dealer would charge. I found the instructions on YouTube (quelle surprise! Yep EVERYTHING you need to know is on YouTube I think). If you thought the lame @ss routine you needed to do to turn off the back up beeper and similarly lame dance for the passenger seat belt were bad, they look almost sophisticated compared to programming the new smart key. IIRC it involved putting the working key in the slot, opening and closing the driver's door something like 6 times, along with pressing some other buttons I think. Then do some voodoo junk in the car to register it to the car. REALLY stupid. As with the back up beeper and the seat belt beeper, they surely could have put something in the MFD screens. What is wrong with putting the working fob in the slot, pressing a button that says "make a copy of this key" then replacing the fob with the "blank" one and have it do everything?

The case for the working fob was also pretty beat up (how can that happen?) and I was able to find a new shell, also on Amazon. You have to take the old one apart and move the 2 circuit boards to the new shell.

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s correct: the code on the key number plate is used only for cutting new mechanical keys, not for anything related to the Smart Key system or immobilizer. Toyota dealers, and others with Security Professional access to techinfo.toyota.com, can look up key codes, and anyone with the right equipment can duplicate existing keys.
    Stored, yes; retrieved, no. There are procedures (described in my previous posting and in many other PriusChat threads) for adding keys, removing keys, resetting the system, and replacing various ECUs, but as far as I know, the Toyota Techstream software doesn’t include any way to view or enter vehicle or key IDs directly. The best precaution is to have a fully-registered spare key, stored in battery-saving mode away from the car.
    The reset procedure is more cumbersome, especially at dealers, where there are procedural controls to deter misuse, described in bulletin T-SB-0057-18, “Immobilizer and Smart Key Reset.” I’m not sure how much security this adds; third parties sell the service of computing the same information to anyone, no questions asked.
    Yes. I believe “programming” and “pairing” both refer to what Toyota calls “registration.” As the Repair Manual (more info) explains, registration “enables the smart key system function, wireless door lock control function and immobiliser function to be operated.”

The so-called “chicken dance” procedure for older vehicles kindly described above by @bruceha_2000 isn’t applicable to the fourth-generation Prius or Prius Prime; according to the Repair Manual, registration requires a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system.

7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much for clarifying all of this mystery surrounding the smartkey registration procedure. It seems for me to use the virgin fob for my PRIME as a third spare, I would have to find someone with Techstream to perform the registration. One question I have about this is that I have read somewhere that there are several levels of Techstrem licensing, and the smartkey registration is only allowed with a registered security professionals. If that is true, I guess I am out of luck to use the ebay purchased fob unless I can find a deale or authentic locksmith agreeing to use it to the registoration procedure.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You’re most welcome.
    There are different levels of access to techinfo.toyota.com, and two of these—Professional Diagnostic, open to anyone with $65, and Security Professional, open only to those registered with NASTF—include the Techstream software. I believe the only difference is that the Security Professional subscription also includes “key codes and immobilizer/smart reset capability,” i.e., the ability to request pass-code numbers, which are needed to use the Smart Code Reset (Smart Key Reset) feature in Techstream.

As long as at least one registered, working key is available, the reset procedure isn’t needed, however. Any Techstream installation that works properly with the vehicle can be used to register “virgin” keys that haven’t previously been used with another vehicle, or to de-activate previously registered keys.

Salamander_King and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again. It seems dealers and locksmith requiring OEM fob ordered through them are concerned about this "extra virginity". The OEM fobs through them are $200 to $250. The refub fob I bought from ebay was less than $100. The ebay seller claims it is "virgin" meaning the previous programming has been wiped clean, but I have no way to confirm that, although it did come with a blank physical key. I will have to find someone with working techstream to use that fob.

10. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

$161.34, says it is sold by Conicelli Toyota of Springfield
    You need to have a locksmith cut the real key to match the one you have. Free shipping.
    Not sure where you could get just the physical key blank.

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you can buy physical key blank at any dealer or even in amazon or ebay. The price you mention $161.34 is for the fob registration (aka programming) service or OEM fob?

Edit: I see you had an invisible Amazon link ( I have ad block). The fob in the link is not for the PRIME. It will not work. For PRIME you will need

Toyota Part Number: 89904-47460 , 8990447460
    FCC ID # HYQ14FBE

MSRP was $300, but it seems now it is $197 and you can find it close to $130 at some Toyota dealers. Most of sub $100 ones you will find on ebay are refub "virginized" fob.

#31 Salamander_King, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Salamander_King is right. That's for a Gen 2 and won't work in a Prime. Or even a Gen 3 or 4 I imagine.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #33 Salamander_King, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    jerrymildred likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had looked too. Is that the name for the fob??

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The parts number matches. No image though. "Transmitter" sound like correct terminology for "fob" to me.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that what I linked was for the Prime, it is what I got for my daughter's 2006.

I looked back, I started my post with:
    "Don't know about the Prime but the used '06 my daughter bought in Sept '17 came with only one smart key. I was able to buy a new one with a blank key on Amazon and program it."

Salamander_King and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for heads up. It seems Gen2 was easier to program the fob, For PRIME, Techstream is a must have as it turns out. I have not yet to figure out how to install and run a cheap pirated version of a Techstrem purchased from ebay. I will have to take the fob to a dealer or locksmith who agrees to do the programming on a BYO fob. I called several locksmiths in Boston area to see if they would do it. The price was $150~$200 for programming only. I may try to get it programmed if I have time next time I go down there.