1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Washed Key Fob - Can't Get Another Programmed. Help?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jess prius 2005, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Jess prius 2005

Jess prius 2005 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----Australia----
    Sorry to jump on post don't know how to do a new post

I have a 2005 pruis I put my key fob in the wash a couple of times it doesn't work beside putting it in the slot went to toyota to get a new key but they said cause my old key not working they can't program a new key to work the locking so I basically just paid for another dud key is there away they can program a new key without using the old key what does not work or am I stuck manually unlocking my car forever there must be away around it cause I'm pretty sure people have lost there fob key before thank you for any info

#1 Jess prius 2005, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2020
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure how it's done in Australia but here in Canada, the dealer gives you a small dog tag with the key code imprinted on it so that you can program new keys with the code. If you don't have that dog tag, you're SOL as the price of reprogramming will significantly increase as they have to create a whole new set of codes and keys.

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius