1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Water leak...into spare tire area etc

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by johntpr, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Don402

Don402 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I did the roof with permatex stuff already.

Also had it leaking in through the bumper cover screws.

The spoiler is a little wobbly. Betting previous owners used it to lift/close the hatch. Going to take the spoiler apart and put back together. It'll have to happen next weekend as I go under the knife tomorrow to repair a rupture bicep.

SFO likes this.
  2. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    never seen that..

3. Don402

Don402 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Flood damage?

5. Don402

Don402 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm thinking the bumper cover was replaced improperly. Used parts with missing gaskets, maybe?

2009Prius likes this.
  6. eluo

eluo Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    @Don402, Take a look to see if you are missing the Left and Right Rear Bumper Side Seal (Download the Predelivery check list from post #50)

Mines was missing (see post #12) and I ended buying the missing part to cover up the hole. This was years ago. I think I paid around $50 for the Bumper Side Seals.

I didn't realize that it was missing until seeing post #13

SFO likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I read that, then took a second look at this:

[​IMG]

Yeah, that's exactly what it looks like: the detritus after the flood. How would silt/dust get atop the 12 volt battery bracket? I think that's what it is: lower right corner?

2009Prius and valde3 like this.
  8. Pavol Škoda

Pavol Škoda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This was mine problem. It is under right tail light.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That car has seen a major flood.he's leaking and has mud in places you will never see unless the water is above the bumper.

I would pull up the carpet in the cabin there's probably water damage under there too.

10. Lisa Mo

Lisa Mo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So, here I am with a few warning lights lit, including the triangle of death..I went through all the forums regarding what could be causing this. I stumble up the inverter cooling pump, that was working, then the 12v battery, which is almost dead. So, (that’s the word for the day), I popped my trunk and access the battery. Lo and behold, it was immersed! Not only that, the spare tire compartment gave my Gen2 Prius an indoor pool option. I can’t tell you how long it’s been since hearing a swishing sound when backing up out of my driveway, but its been quite a while. I removed the spare tire and drained all areas, wiped clean, then removed the strips on each side of the roof.... I proceeded to cover with automotive silicone. I also applied silicone to the areas where the trunk is screwed onto the car as well as around the shocks. I’m hoping this does the job. I’m a little paranoid when a huge battery is that close to water. I’m hoping all is covered....

m.wynn, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done newbie!(y)

m.wynn and Lisa Mo like this.
  12. Pavol Škoda

Pavol Škoda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope image was attached.

Attached Files:

Lisa Mo likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That tears it: I'm gonna check the pressure on the spare TODAY.

Lisa Mo and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. Lisa Mo

Lisa Mo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, it was attached. Is that where the tail light is located? Those cracks seem to have ran all along the area where the black strips are on the sides of the roof area. Actually, those cracks are like little road maps that can be followed to where my rear jacuzzi was found! So, (still the word of the day), here’s my update.... I replaced the 12v battery, looked at my 10mm wrench and gazed at my new battery and my clean compartments, my silicone job, etc, then, decided to take Ludwig (yes, it’s named) and face palmed when all the flipping warning lights returned!!! I pulled over, took my 10mm wrench and disconnected the black cable from 12v battery and drove back home. I needed a little oomph, because I live in a rural area and just wanted to make it home. Radio is off and I can hear a fan noise that was constant from the back seat.... Yup, this evening, Ludwig received a HVbattery transplant. I called a mobile service and had them switch out my pack and that came with an 8 year warranty. $1400 later.... yeah. It’s okay though, I’m happy to be back on the road without the triangle of death distraction!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was true to my word, and the spare was about 10 pounds low. If you haven't done this in a while, pretty much for sure will need a top up.

Lisa Mo likes this.
  17. Mattclay

Mattclay New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Something to do with that vent next to the battery maybe.

18. macguyver

macguyver Dis-Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Should we have a master "trunk water leak" thread that gets pinned in this forum with a collection of the top info in post #1?

It would be helpful for ongoing owners to not have to sift through every post/thread and blow-by-blow. Particularly as this seems to be a common issue with the aging Gen2 Prius. There are an assortment of "causes" (impact, driving stresses, expansion and contraction from heat/cold, manufacturer defect during build, etc.) but the bottom line is most Gen2's have this risk.

In my own exploration of a leak, I looked at:
    1. top corner cracks (which can run back to front under the roof trim, and down the rear gutter near the upper hatchback opening)
    2. wiring boot seals (top of hatchback opening)
    3. hatchback hinges
    4. hydraulic anchor points
    5. hatchback stop mounts (the black blocks just above where the trunk area bends down at the far back)
    6. taillight seals: main wiring hole, screw holes (2), clip holes (2)
    7. hatchback seal (black rubber seal that runs around the entire opening when hatch is open)
    8. bumper screws (there are 2, one near each lower corner of the hatch opening)
    I found rust starting under the rubber seal. This can happen by accumulation of dirt underneath which helps more water enter and be trapped, eventually migrating into places it shouldn't be. Removal of the rubber strip, cleaning and a bit of sealant inside the rubber strip can help here, but may make removal more difficult later.

I also traced water coming from the 2 bumper screws that are near each lower corner of the hatch opening. They have large black plastic washers that make them stand out. Underneath, there are green plastic mounts that are installed in a hole in the Prius body. This hole goes right through to the trunk inside, but is obscured by reinforcement plates for the cargo strap anchors (and brake power module on passenger side). Quite honestly I am surprised this one did not leak sooner.

Others here have noted places I have not mentioned. Anywhere a hole has been made or two pieces of metal are fused together can allow moisture.

One last thought... how common is this sort of thing in other makes/models of cars?

I only discovered my own leak while getting the 12v batt changed (another gotcha with the Gen2 Prius) at our local Toyota Authorized Svc. provider. The shop notified me of "2 inches of water" in the 12v battery compartment. They got the water out but offered no other information or tips. *sigh*

Prius_Gnome, SFO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. prius8654

prius8654 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What specific brand and type of sealant do you like you use as mentioned in your post?

20. Moses Bruh

Moses Bruh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pretty much any type of waterproof caulk/silicone/sealant will work on cracks, I personally used regular clear 100% silicone caulk that you can get at any home improvement store ( you can get a small squeezable ones). I put it on hairline cracks that I saw around the hatchback frame, and also used it around the rubber seal for the taillight screw, which was my main source for water leak.

Mendel Leisk and prius8654 like this.