1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are good coil overs?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Johnsk93, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Johnsk93

Johnsk93 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am deciding to get coil overs and still looking for a good one; any recommendation? And are coil overs safe to go on road trips?

2. FishCandy

FishCandy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rsr has coil overs sport i...

3. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    I have finally gotten my Tanabe sustec pro-oc coilovers installed last month. Ride is awesome in that it is still comfortable but will firm up when cornering. I did a 5 hour road trip with my GF last month - it was comfortable like stock on the interstate

However, I noticed noise once in a while coming from the front. Apparently, this is common with Macpherson suspension types. The noise is barely audible and is usually heard when you do maneuvers around parking lots at slow speeds.

I have considered RS*R sport-I's. The spring rates are higher on those but I am sure you can adjust them so that the ride is just like stock. Also they cost $1700 compared to mine which were $890. I never had Tein but apparently, they make great coilovers. A lot of people on this forums are using them.

Accordlayingkit likes this.
  4. ncases

ncases Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding coilovers, do you need a wheel alignment every time you change its dropped? Thank you. Im considering buying one.

5. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    From what I hear from my buddy who works at Toyota as a technician, as well as the garage that installed my suspension - everytime you change the height, you'll need another alignment.

However, I have been driving with these new coilovers for a month now. Did not get an alignment yet. There doesn't appear to be any excessive road noise from any sort of out-of-toe specs and I am still getting more than 50MPG's according to my computer dash display (w/ 17 inch wheels and LRR tires). It is too soon to notice visual wear but I'll bet there won't be any significant difference in the life of the tires. But that's only because I've done a 1 inch drop.

Still a very happy camper here.

Accordlayingkit and ncases like this.
  6. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What coilovers do you have? | PriusChat

7. Johnsk93

Johnsk93 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Grren4ever, where did you purchased your coil overs? Those seem like a reasonable price.

8. Johnsk93

Johnsk93 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also just want a 1inch drop so your set up seems to suit my needs:D

9. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius