1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What coilovers do you have?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by fatdawg, Apr 9, 2014.

1. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I couldn't find a post on this, I am shopping for coilovers, I wanted to see what you are using and how is the ride? Please let me know if the top mounts are included in your kit.

I've seen really cheap kits on eBay but don't really want to skimp on quality but I don't plan on spending top dollar either.

TIA

2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been on Megan Racing coilovers for about 8+ months. The ride comfort is somewhat diminished from factory, but not too bad. Of course I like it a bit on the sporty side. I have my damper setting at about 17 and it is a good compromise. I can adjust it up and it gets softer/more stock like but it will get a little bouncy at the extreme end. The kit includes all parts/mounts you need.

At the time, I felt Megan was a decent value compromise. I think I paid about $800 from THmotorsports.

3. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my first set was Teins Basic.... I liked the way it ride but it's lowest setting is not the drop I was looking for.......

now I'm using HKS S-Style Hypermax .. it has everything needed to install... fronts also comes with camber plates.... as my car sits right now it could still be lowered to about 1" - 1.25" more....

La Rumba likes this.
  4. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good info, how much was that Hypermax? I have Teins on my other car, its good so far, but the Teins they are selling for the Prius doesn't look to have the top plate included.

5. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you say top plate, are you referring to an adjustable camber plate? If so, most of the coilovers for the Prius I have seen do not have an adjustable camber plate. They appear to be the same/similar non-adjustable pillow mount.

6. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the tein basic I have does not have the top mount... but if I went with the street advance or higher model it would come with the top mount and the some would come with camber plates..... re pricing... the tein basic would be less than $900.... the HKS are in the $1.7+ range...

here's a pic of the front coil overs I had... the HKS comes with the top mount with camber plate....

[​IMG]

7. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Perfect, thanks, $1700 is a bit high for me, I'll have to keep looking, but that setup looks sweet!

8. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    if it's ok for you to re-use your top mount then the tein basic would work.... or go with the street advance.... also check tanabe.... they have coil overs that are not that expensive......

9. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking around, I'd prefer to get a kit with the top mount included with camber adjustments so I don't have to deal with it later.

Had anyone had experience with D2 Racing or KSport coilovers? It's so difficult to tell with the description and images on the manufacturers site if the kit includes what I want as they seem to use generic descriptions and images.

10. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a thread with a spreadsheet on different lowering options I put together awhile ago. If you click on the link, it has the more updated info. At the time, I don't think I could find much about the D2 or KSport. I'll be happy to update my spreadsheet if you get more info on them.

At the end of the day, they are all very similar in design. Also many of them are probably coming from the same factory/manufacturer but with slightly different specs/options. That HKS unit and the Tanabe Pro z40 have nice specs, but they are much more $$$. I had to get over my Megan brand stigma, but I have been pretty happy with them. I don't think you can beat them for the price and features they offer.

The problem I had with the basic Tanabe's and Tein's is that they didn't have adjustable damping. Also, the Tein's minimum drop was 1.9" so I couldn't set it higher if I wanted (for WAF). The Megan's have adjustable damping and a good range of drop options. So far the Megan's have held up very well. However, it has been under a year that I have had them so the jury is still out on long term durability.

11. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mrstop, do you have a link to that spreadsheet?

Do you guys think this spring rate will be too rough.

D2 and KSport Spring Rates: 8.7/487 Front | 3.8/213 Rear

It looks like the HKS has 6kg and Megan is at 4kg in the front.

12. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I still haven't decided on which coilover kit to buy. I have called KSport and D2, they both said they are not affiliated. This is what I got:

- KSport kit comes with a top plate but no camber adjustment.
    - D2 kit does not include a top plate.
    - Both kits come with 8.7k front and 4k rear spring rates.

With that said, the Megan kit is starting to look better, mrstop, do you feel the 4k all around spring rate is comfortable enough and sporty enough? Do you hear any noises with your kit?

My other car has Tein Comfort Sport, very comfy even with 20s, but I prefer it that way for that car.

14. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yes it is comfortable. I bit stiffer then stock but not too much. Definitely sport enough for a Prius. You can dial the damping down close to 1 and it can get downright fun through some twisties. I haven't any real noise from them at all. Make sure you grease in the right areas and properly adjust the heights. I would probably plan on a regrease once a year to keep the noise away.

15. KeepitSimple

KeepitSimple Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Reviving thread. @fatdawg - what did you end up going with? I am really debating on what setup to go with and if its even worth going the coil over route. Appears that the megan setup is the best bang for the buck but I have always had good luck with ksports. Maybe take the easy route and just get the tein springs and see how they are and go with coil overs in the future...

16. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    My Tanabe Pro-OC coilovers arrived today. I will have them installed shortly. The spring rate is 3K front and 4K back which is the softest coilover setup I've seen for the Prius. Comfort is my first priority, looks second, and better handling a third.

Will let you know how they feel after I drive around with them a few days :)

DSC00001.jpg

Gas Mizer likes this.
  17. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I went with BC Racing Coilovers, I have yet to install them, schedule has been crazy. I'll update the thread when I finally get them installed.

iPhone ?

18. bino

bino JDM ZVW30

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (y)

I had the same coil overs on my Gen 2 and loved it.... reason I did not get it for my Gen 3 is it does not go as low as I want to.....

19. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    tein basic Coilovers says they go down 2.5 in the front and 2.9 in the rear. Is that lower than what the Meagan Racing coilovers go? @Grren4ever @fatdawg did you guys get yours installed yet? pics?

20. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Accordlayingkit - My buddy was supposed to help me install these coilovers last month. He's the head mechanic at a Toyota dealership but has wrist problems from playing too much PS3 - needs surgery next month so I don't want to bug him.

I'm looking for reputable garages to install these coilovers and torque all bolts back to specs + not f_ck anything up on my car. Shops are charging me 400$ for the install which is total bull!!! I'm still doing research on shops and reading reviews. Not going to leave my car with just anyone.