1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What did you do to ur Gen III Prius today????

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by sfv41901, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Tommy Wangs posts are being deleted and I think his account is banned or suspended.

2. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Interesting you say that! I am playing around with Torque recently as well! I believe I have found a way to run acceleration tests. Not that we dont have those yet... our member TheChip had drag stats that says a lot on its own.
    I might have figured out a method to fix the throttle input and record acceleration time snaps. The speed runs are in Torque app, but now i want to guarantee unbiased throttle control. I will try to work on this in the next few days.

3. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    The Red Bullet is a upgrade part to help with the variable valves do its variable modulation faster then the OEM. I am going to use a diagram which is from JimboPalmer. He is the person who made me look into how exactly the Red Bullet works to help us achieve the performances we enjoy today.
    valvetmg.png
    "Lets start at the very beginning" "A very good place to start" "when you speed up you begin with 1-2-3"
    Lets say you would want to get from position range 1 to position range 2 when you start to speed up your vehicle, and you want to make that transition as fast as you can, the Red Bullet solenoid has double the actuation speed and double the amount of force to switch the direction of oil flow specifically to do this position hunting in a awesome way, faster and with double the authority. The position 1-2-3-4-5- low temp- startup is not a fixed pin point, in fact it is variable range!
    The second column mentions that it is a range which is preprogrammed into the ECU for achieving the best power,efficiency or optimal situation at the time for combustion, taking into account ignition advanced and air fuel mixture, desired compression stroke.... The computer will use the solenoid to manipulate the oil flow back and forth within that range to produce the optimal valve timing. We are talking about split seconds hunting back and forth overshooting and chasing the rabbit, therefor by having double the speed to make these corrections really helps to make your engine run how it was designed to thus increasing the efficiency by some degree of improvement.

A example of a guided missile, the faster and stronger the servos are for the targeting control vector, the better they will be able to make fine corrections in flight and chase down another missile or bomb. The slower one (OEM) will overshoot more, make late course corrections and even run out of propellant before reaching its target because it was not able to make corrections fast enough to fly in the most optimal/efficient line of trajectory to its target regardless of computer guidance capability.

Next example~
    Two tennis players both playing on the same level= same ECU, one is running old shoes, and a slow heavy racket=OEM, and one is on new shoes plenty of grip for those match point corrections and using the best composite racket and strings available plus say 5 years younger but having played the same years as the OEM, once the ball leaves the racket you kind of already know who is more likely on returning that serve.
    These examples just came to my mind watching the sound of music with my lovely two princesses and Wimbledon final replay.

I hope this brings a little insight of whats going on and why by having this upgrade one can better manipulate the pulse and glide technique to get better MPG.
    I dedicate this post to Jimbo, he was the one who made me study and learn, without this diagram which he shared, I would not have a clue of what exactly is going on! He took me to school on it!

#17703 Max Taiwan, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Montgomery and Burna J like this.
  4. Inza2

Inza2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Joined the Red Bullet family!
    Thanks Max for the speedy delivery! 20190725_201346.jpeg

5. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Inza2,

You are very welcome! I hope the customs were pleasant! We try to time it so to install over the weekend! Go slow take your time! The fun begins after you installed it. You never forget your first!

I was just curious, what grade of gasoline do you use? I remember the minimum was 95 RON which is considered regular and shell has the 100 RON.
    Oh and Brexit how is that affecting you guys if at all? And last time I heard Canopy Growth was setting up over there too!
    We are thinking about setting up locations in France and also around your location since the Brexit.
    With a airport hub like Amsterdam shipments arrive really fast, cant say the same for Heathrow, shipments are a lot s l o w e r going to the UK.

Let us know how you get along!

6. Inza2

Inza2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Customs were very nice, they never inspected the shipment! So no extra costs for importing.
    Delivery was very fast, in under 6days from Taiwan to my place!!

In the Netherlands I use Euro95, which they renamed E5, this is the new European standard name now.
    The Brexit is not affecting me personally, so I can’t be bothered.

Yeah, setup a location near Amsterdam and make me your “Overseas Vice President Red Bullet” ;):)

Montgomery likes this.
  7. Daigi_

Daigi_ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To continue the circle jerk, my buddy and I installed a Red Bullet last night. Even just reversing out of the driveway, I had already felt a difference. Was a huge skeptic prior to last night.

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Max Taiwan for president 2020.

slothbear, Montgomery, RMB and 2 others like this.
  9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey MAX - Thank you for your enthusiasm for your product and for the Prius, but may I suggest that you start your own thread on the "Red Bullet", and allow this thread to continue on as for what it was intended for, "What did you do to your Gen3 Prius today".

10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Already done(y):

Red bullet VVTI seloniod

Max Taiwan likes this.
  11. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Hi orenji,

Thank you for the kind reminder! I will keep it in mind not to over step.
    I was trying to answer and reply where it was asked. Next time I'll figure out how to place a link to the Red Bullet discussion area for technical information.

orenji likes this.
  12. Jchoi808

Jchoi808 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Installed the Red Bullet this morning, installation was a breeze. I too had the issue with the cover not going back properly due to the Red Bullet. I’m not sure it made a significant improvement but will this was from just a quick drive around the block. Will see over the next few days/weeks.

TheeWood and Max Taiwan like this.
  13. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Jchoi808,

Please make sure you switch to normal mode and please do not trim the Engine cover! We are working on a solution for it.

14. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Let us know once that is available. I might just try it myself. Thank you.

Max Taiwan likes this.
  15. Jchoi808

Jchoi808 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup, took it out of eco mode. Yeah, I left the cover as is. Let me know on the solution. Thanks!

16. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Awesome! Might be a good idea to leave the cover out of the engine bay for now, we are getting the milling specs done right now. When its ready I will mail out the fix to all owners. The Red Bullet #G3 will not have this issue onwards.

slothbear and Montgomery like this.
  17. Nopho4u

Nopho4u Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hybrid Pit is always taking care of me and keeping it fresh.

Crystal eye version 5 sequential Screenshot_20190727-235219(1).png 20190728_002837.jpg

#17717 Nopho4u, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  18. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Putu Ariawan and Max Taiwan like this.
  19. slothbear

slothbear Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Joined the Red Bullet gang as well. Definite difference when the ICE kicks in, and seeing increased MPG around town. Quick and easy install. Also threw on a rear bumper guard to keep the scratches from loading/unloading away.

20. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    slothbear is a master of pulse and glide?

slothbear likes this.