1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What else should be checked while replacing the combination meter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nords, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The combination meter (dashboard display) on my 2006 Prius has blanked out twice in nine days. I’m comfortable driving without it.

It’s going to be replaced, and I’m probably going to use the dealer. I’ve already watched McBooster’s video:
    combination meter/speedometer replacement | PriusChat
    ... and I’m not interested in dealing with the potential risks of brittle plastic trim pieces.

While the dashboard cowl is removed, what else is accessible for inspection, maintenance, or repairs?
    For example, the ventilation system damper has a noisy stepper motor or a very sticky damper. (When the air conditioner is running, I can hear the “ruh-roh” squeaking as the damper flops back & forth or sticks.) It’s been like that for several years, and it could last for another 10 years or die tomorrow. Can it be replaced while the combo meter is being replaced, or is that a bigger level of teardown?

The tire pressure monitoring system has a bad sensor in one of the tires, and it's not worth the expense. I have a piece of tape on the dash display to cover the TPMS light, and I can leave it that way for the rest of the car’s life. I understand the process of snipping and grounding the sensor wire in the dashboard-- is that worth doing while the dash is apart?

While the dash is ripped apart, is it worth updating the original radio to a model with an AUX jack? The only time I listen to a radio station is for traffic reports when I’m stuck in traffic. Otherwise I’m listening to an iPod connected to a small FM transmitter picked up by the radio’s antenna. I realize I could use Bluetooth as well but then I’d have to have a Bluetooth system instead of an ancient iPod.

Anything else I’m missing?

Otherwise the car is in decent shape with only 100K miles and it’s probably time to sell it. We’ve been considering an EV which we’d recharge from our photovoltaic array, and since Oahu is a 30x40-mile island we’d only need a range of around 80 miles. But that’s a whole new discussion for after the Prius repairs.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you are relying on dealer service, don’t ask for warning lights to be deactivated. They won’t do that.

It might be possible to replace the sticking vent servo motor while the dashboard is removed.

The cost of replacing broken plastic trim is minor compared to the dealer labor cost and new combo meter cost. Also the dealer tech might break the trim and they will charge you for its replacement.

Nords likes this.
  3. Nords

Nords Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, Patrick. You're absolutely right about the possible plastic trim costs... the dealer estimate is $1200 just for the combo meter. They haven't even sounded very interested in doing the job in December.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you can DIY, Texas Hybrid Batteries sells reconditioned combo meters set to the odometer reading you request for $150. I can highly recommend that source since I have personal experience with their product.

When I did this job a month ago, I broke the vent immediately to the left of the MFD. A new vent cost ~$150.

So you can realize a very big savings by DIY.

combination meter repair - DIY | Page 9 | PriusChat

mattbatson, Raytheeagle and Nords like this.