1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is absolute best speed for highest mpg?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert Holt, Oct 19, 2013.

1. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you are running out of gas and have no traffic you want to

1. turn off the fan (disabling AC/heat)
    2. turn off the radio (especially satalite radio or aftermarket amplifiers)
    3. turn off the headlights (if it is bright enough to safely do so)
    4. stay near a speed low enough to be able to run electric only.

With my gen II if the battery is in the mid bars the gas engine kicks in on nearly level ground around 20 mph so with a slight downhill I can do more than 20, on a slight uphill less than 20.

Either way find that spot where the gas engine kicks in and travel right at or below that speed. That is the speed where wind resistance kicks in more than rolling resistance and the gas engine kicks in at that level to keep the battery from having to discharge too fast.

Too far below that and you spend more time charging/discharging the battery and if it is night time you have more vampire load over time vs distance traveled (dash, headlights, etc).

Too far above that speed and you incur more wind resistance. Enough so that it will offset any charging / discharging losses from running on battery only.

If you get the speed just right and all the other variables like slope and temperature are in your favor you'll get something on the order of 150 miles to a gallon. (If you have to stop and go think more like 100 MPG, if it is cold outside you may drop as low as 50 MPG even with the heat off because the catalytic converter will demand the engine run just to heat it).

If you aren't at the OMG I'm out of gas level then kick it up a few MPH above that and cruise at 25 or 30 MPH or consider trying to pulse and glide from a higher speed like say 40 down to 25 and back up to 40. Myself if I was low on gas I'd be more worried about watching my mirrors, navigating to the gas station, watching for danger so I'd probably give up on the P&G and go for steady speed when crunch time hits.

Naurill and Robert Holt like this.
  2. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am unclear as to the exact meaning of each data point listed as many different cryptic labels are used. The curves do not clearly fit any set of data points and sets of data points are clearly lying off the curves. Thus the meaning of the graphs/data points is unclear without the discussion and context of the original posts, which I need to review, obviously. Would that be in a Gen I or Gen II forum?

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The blue line would be he MPG without any fixed load, the grey line is the MPG with a 511 watt fixed load. The read line is the HP needed to offset air resistance.

Generating accurate graphs is not trivial, Bob Wilson does as well as any on Prius chat.
    Here is a graph by Frank Tiger of OBDII mileage.
    [​IMG]

Graphics of average fuel economy vs speed | PriusChat

(this, unlike Bob's theoretically best mileage, is Frank's actual mileage over 1 hundred thousand data points. You could do better or worse depending on driving skill)

My graph is way less on topic: https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/37627_1542805172434_4766290_n.jpg

Robert Holt likes this.
  4. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for reposting these graphs! Do I assume correctly that Franks data are the instantaneous car-computed mpg data he collected in normal driving?
    If yes, the high mpg point at 5-7 mph would be in part due to heavy use of the motor generators in that speed range, especially if he drove gently and the ICE was off for many of the recorded data points.
    The secondary peak at 40 mph may represent the maximally efficient speed with mainly ICE use that I am searching for.
    I would like to test steady-state 20, 30, 40, &50 mph and have found a level non-interstate multi lane stretch of road at least 7 miles long with no posted minimum speed limit where I can conceivably make the test runs using the approach Bob W suggested when traffic conditions permit.
    Thanks again.

5. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    His peak near 40 mph is near the point where the Prius won't let you run electric only on level to downhill grades. I doubt it is related to the peak for the gas engine I would say it is an anomaly due to high state of charge from prior regeneration.

If you want highest MPG on flat ground with steady speed it will be much closer to 20 mph. If you have the time to test I'd start at 10 mph and go up in 2 or 5 mph increments until you reach 40 mph. I think you'll find your peak below 25 mph.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You would have to know Frank's typical cruise speeds, for me, I cruise at 61 and 48 MPH a LOT, so my MPG for other speeds would mostly accelerating though that speed, while MPG at 48 and 61 would be steady state.

Robert Holt likes this.
  7. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good point. I would like to check some the lower steady-state speeds to see what the mpg vs mph data with cruise control set will look like in actual driving with my tire pressures, etc. In a pinch later on, I can then set that speed to stretch the achievable range.

8. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I found this graph in an old thread and it also suggests19- 20 mph, but I have no info on the origin of the data points or the resulting curve.

9. Indy John

Indy John Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A British PC member pointed out that a steady speed of about 35 MPH yields 90MPG or so. The ICE comes on periodically to re-charge the battery. Using the battery advantageously can still results in big numbers.

Robert Holt likes this.
  10. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The chart may be right. My best ever fuel economy was filling fuel and resetting the trip meter on entering a state park where speed is limited to 35 mph. The 7+ mile loop in the park with speed never exceeding 35 mpg indicated 95 mpg average.

Robert Holt likes this.
  11. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you!
    I just tested a 12.5 mile, fairly level, stop-free stretch of multi-lane non-interstate highway that runs basically North-South. At a cruise-controlled steady 55 mph, the average of the displayed mpg for the North and South runs was 67.0 mpg. I need to double check changes in elevation , but since I don't have a dry lake bed handy that stretch will have to do for gathering data! Now I have to wait for no traffic conditions and preferably no wind.
    So I will step down to 45, and then 35 mph and see if I get congruent results to the British PC member you mentioned, and then down to 25 if possible to see if I get Results consistent with Bob W.

tumbleweed likes this.