1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the longevity of the EV drive train?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Jnbrown, May 24, 2017.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In the US, (except Hawaii) most states follow a Federal 100,000 mile / 8 year warranty, but some states have adopted California Air Resource Board's 150,000 mile / 10 year warranty. Here is a list of CARB states and when they became CARB states. My understanding is that to get the CARB warranty the car must be originally purchased in a CARB state, and currently registered in a CARB state.

The 2014 list of CARB States in the US | PriusChat

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just for the fun of it, after changing my transaxle oil recently, I monitored the MG1 & MG2 temperatures on a drive that was mostly 50 mph with quite a few stops and starts. The temperatures maxed out at about 141° F just as the EV range ran out. Temps were not climbing fast and stayed at about 120 for quite a while, but were slowly going up. Not sure how a Prime would compare, but that's fairly cool for a motor under load in a hot environment. And I'd think that being bolted to an ICE would qualify as a hot environment. Most motors in the factories where I was an electrician were way, way, way too hot to touch. I don't remember the actual temperatures, but many of them were running in ambient temperatures around 140. I'm not sure what the operating temperature is supposed to be on the MGs, but for every 10° F over that limit you run it, you cut the motor's life in half.

Since the Prime can go much farther and faster on EV, there's the potential for temperatures to climb even more, so I wonder what Toyota has done to keep that within spec. Whatever spec is on the MGs.