1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What size nut on threaded rod holding 12V cable in fuse box?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pasadena_commut, May 8, 2023.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to wire a pigtail onto the threaded rod (or threaded part of a bolt) in the fuse box under the hood to which the heavy 12V cable is attached, so a charger can be attached to it from outside the car. This rod is under the little red cover, next to the jump point. Purchased M5 (33712-C) and M6 (33713-D) flange nuts from ACE hardware. The former was too small (nut spun about 1/4 turn and stuck), the latter too large (nut was super loose). These came out of parts bins, and hardware store customers tend to randomize those, so they may not have been the advertised sizes. By eye the M6 nut looked pretty similar in size to the one on the car, but as I said, in terms of threads the diameter was too large. Unfortunately part numbers from the bins cannot be found on the ACE website.

I don't want to mess with the nut which is currently holding down that big cable. It is presumably torqued down appropriately and I don't have a low value torque wrench. The idea was to put a wire with a loop spade on the rod, above that nut, and then tighten a 2nd nut down on top of that.

Anybody know what the thread spec is for that rod, so that I can find a nut which will fit?

Thanks.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like the M5 nut was the right size, but the wrong thread pitch. Sometimes nuts come in course and fine thread pitches, for this application, I'd guess that the thread pitch is course. You most likely had an M5 nut with a fine thread pitch.

A search on Amazon shows M5 x 0.8mm thread pitch is common.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#2 xliderider, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Perhaps you didn't get the correct size "M5" nut out of the parts bin? People are always throwing random SAE into metric bins, etc.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Theyres a 5.5 to I believe

5. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently that threaded rod is part of the fusible link - and it has a varying diameter. At least that is the case if I'm reading this post correctly:

Battery (post-screw) loose under fuse box. How to fix? | PriusChat

I would need to use a magnifying glass to see that clearly, looking down from the top. Anyway, if that is the issue then the M6 nut will probably fit once it is worked down past the narrow diameter tip section.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure you disconnect the negative cable at the battery before you go wrenching on that stud.