1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What's this plug for in 2011 navigation?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 4md, Nov 17, 2017.

1. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was searching for a cheaper solution to install a USB kit to my Prius (2011 with JBL navigation) and found one in Aliexpress. Looking very closely, i found that the one of the plugs does not match with my unit. We exchanged several messages and firstly the seller said he's sure this will fit my sat nav without any problems, but after showing him some photos he gave up and said, quoting: "So sorry this makes us quite confusing, we advice you to consult your local master if it can fit." :ROFLMAO:

He was pointing the two plugs from the photo below. The one with the red arrow is not like the one from the kit he sells. He said that it's for the USB connection, but it's definitely not. Do you know what is it for? Is it the GPS antenna?

I think it looks like some sort of antenna - it has only one pin in the center and some sort of interference shield. The unit has two 75 ohm connectors at the top right corner and I think those are the two radio antennas - mine has one on the roof and one in the glass of the trunk lid.

Attached Files:

2. Diemaster

Diemaster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    looks like a coax cable so something RF. in this case either the XM,GPS,and/or FM antenna.

4md likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's the GPS antenna. The AM/FM antenna is the round Motorola-style one over by the side edge. If you're looking on the back of that unit for an XM antenna or USB connection, you won't find either one: the XM tuner is a separate unit mounted down under the seat, and the USB player (if you have it) is another, smaller box (part PT233-47100 in the US) stuck onto the bottom of the XM tuner with double-sided tape and a nylon tie. :)

Essentially, the 2010-11 head unit just has audio input. The XM tuner under the seat has audio line output to feed the head unit, and the USB player box (if present) tees into that.

You might find this thread useful. Also, if it interests you to see exactly how the official USB player accessory was installed, they are in a document called T-AI-0087-D, available on the US techinfo.toyota.com service. I assume you could find them on toyota-tech.eu also, though I do not know if all the numbers are the same.

-Chap

Elektroingenieur and 4md like this.
  4. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I had the same thoughts after reading a lot about the USB kit and the differences between the EU and US versions because of the XM tuner. It's interesting that the head unit knows when USB, AUX or BT has been connected, because the tabs are grayed out or even missing - for example, when I disconnect the plug under the arm rest for the AUX-in, the AUX tab disappears. So it must has some other connection between the XM/USB module besides the audio input - it shows the song's names, you can go to the prev/next one, etc.

Maybe mine does not have the Motorola's antenna connector, it looks different from the photo from the other topic.

Attached Files:

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    European accessories have different part numbers (which tend to begin with PWxxx or PZxxx, rather than PTxxx) and Accessory Installation Manual documents, which are available at no charge on toyota-tech.eu.

Someone posted the instructions for the U.S. version of the USB kit (PDF) on PriusChat in 2009; the European version is PZ473-00267-00 (PDF).

4md likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They are also connected by the AVC-LAN so your button presses can be communicated to the XM and USB player, and their status information can be reported back. (In fact, I'm getting this vague memory, now, that there's a high-data-rate AVC-LAN variant, and the sound from the XM tuner and USB player might get to the head unit digitally, carried over that. Don't quote me on that, I'm not looking at the manual at the moment.) The AUX input is just analog, as you'd expect. Detecting the presence of an AUX source works the old-fashioned way, with an extra switch contact inside the AUX jack to detect the presence of a plug, connected to a fourth wire back to the head unit. The jack assembly may also include a resistor of a certain value; in other car models with more than one type of input jack, that sense wire can be common to them, with the head unit sensing the resistance to know which one is active.

-Chap

4md likes this.