1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel bearing assembly question.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Deepwatertree, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Deepwatertree

Deepwatertree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hey everybody! I have some questions revolving around a concern. Last year after an accident where I had to have somebody work done, once I got the car out of the shop it was making the sound that the wheel bearing makes when it's ready to go out. Just randomly happened to start the day I got it back in the body shop. I ended up replacing the wheel bearing... Bought a new Moog part online, and brought it to a mechanic who I was told that a good reputation, in order to put it on for me.

First of all, I come to find out now over a year later that they probably charged me twice as much as it should have cost to put on, because it's a simple bolt on piece and I just had to have it replaced again...The shop last year charged $150 for labor, but the guy I took it to today charged $85 and it only took 30 minutes.

Anyway, over the last couple of weeks, the exact same wheel started making the noise again. This is only about a year and a half and 30k miles later. I ordered the new part which is an exact same Moog part, and took it to this new shop today. When he got it on the rack and started working on it he had a really hard time getting everything undone, and says that it looks like it hadn't been taken off in a very long time. This thing is completely rusted out, and then my amateur opinion it looks like a hell of a lot more rust than what should be on a part from only over a year's time.

I'm just wondering if somehow the previous shop rigged the last bearing that I had to somehow work without the noise, or maybe they put a used part on without my knowledge, because I can't quite find the serial number on the old part because there's so much rust on it. Can anyone look at these photos and tell me if this looks like a part that's only been on a car for a year-and-a-half? Is the old one and the new one the same part? How can I tell if I can't find the part number underneath the rust? Can it be plugged in to a computer to find out how many miles are on it?

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is a rear wheel?

It's held on with bolts yes, but it can be a BEAR to break loose. And of course first the brake caliper and rotor has to come off.

Maybe Moog isn't the best pick?

Here's some notes I've made:

=================================================
    Alternate replacement wheel bearing source:
    Rock Auto: Timken bearing (actually a Koyo, made in Japan, same part no as OEM)
    ----
    I'm in it now - Front wheel bearing/hub replacement | Page 8 | PriusChat

If I were to do this over again, my top choice would be (based on online research of what people recommends)

Koyo (Toyota OEM). Ebay sells a set for $214.95. Search for Koyo 43510 47010
    SKF. rockauto.com sells it for just under $100 (each)
    Timken. rockauto.com sells it about $10 less than SKF

If warranty is of concern, SKF and Timken offer 3 years and rockauto is great with handling the warranty exchange.
    =================================================

3. Deepwatertree

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's rear drivers. I was going to buy Timken this time around, though Rockauto only would replace the exact same part, which is why I had to buy a new Moog to send back the old one. Though my questions and concerns are about the actual age of the old bearing and whether the last shop I went to scammed me on a used part. If they did, then Rockauto might not accept the return, if it's not the actual part that I bought from them last time.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, gotcha. (y)

Nothing ID's it, one year on.

5. Colm01

Colm01 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It looks about right. I personally put my rear wheel bearings on about 2 months ago when one of the ABS speed sensors failed. I put rear rotors on last week and they were really rusty. I went with the NSK bearing from Rockauto for $108 ea. It's made in Japan and has an Aisin speed sensor. The old ones required a 10 pound slap hammer with a hub adapter to get them off the car after removing the bolts.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The difference in the labor cost as probably one shop charges $150 per hour and the other one charges $85.
    Most places just switch the parts and don't clean up the bolts or oil them, or use antiseize on the hub.
    They usually don't clean the area, the just pull the old one out and put the new in.
    When I worked at the shop I always cleaned up the area and grease the threads, unless it called for lock tight.
    Whoever changed it before, if he did change it, probably used an air gun to remove and install the bolts.
    Removing is fine, installing is not!

It's hard to tell how old that part is because rust grows at different speeds. You can always look at the area and SHOULD
    be able to see the shiny NEW hub. You may have to get on the ground and look behind the wheel to see it.

I replace my front ones about a month ago, it was very easy. I didn't pull everything off though, just the caliper and rotor.
    The video's I watched pulled the suspension apart. But you don't need too, at least I didn't.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Deepwatertree

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for your responses everyone. I guess I'm just going to return the old one and see if Rockauto honors the refund.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Don’t forget Moog parts are made all over the world, so quality can be different from one part to another;).

I replaced the front wheel bearing hub assemblies on our old 2010, I started with a Dura Go and that one was fine for 35 k miles. The Moog one was in for 25 k miles and also was doing well:).

Quality varies, but the condition of the assembly doesn’t indicate anything out of the norm, IMO. Good luck and keep us posted (y).

9. mikecz

mikecz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Timken fronts at RockAuto don't have a 36 month warranty, at least as of now.

TIMKEN HA590411 {#4355047010}
    TIMKEN Warranty Information:
    12 months

Are they still KOYO bearings? I think they might have been a while ago, I think I read that somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't anymore though. :)

Does anyone have any suggestions? SKF has 36 mth / 45k mi. What about Beck/Arnley? Has anyone tried their hubs/bearings? What mileage did you get? Any aftermarket 'winners'? ... say, over 100k mi? :)

I ordered two Timken fronts for a 2008 Prius about a year ago, and they ended up being not KOYO. One also had an incorrectly installed bolt. The pictures on RockAuto's website showed KOYO on the bearings, as in the Timken catalog. Lost some shipping on the return. :(

I wonder what the point of the photos in the catalogs is, if they don't show the actual product you get. :p

#9 mikecz, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    SKF sounds very familiar, from my conveyor days, lol. Different world then though.

11. Raphael Muscarelle

Raphael Muscarelle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have used Moog parts. I'm not impressed. Every part has rust on it in short time compared to original parts had 200k with no rust.
    Rear Wheel bearings should be replaced with good ones since cheap ones tend to leave out needed heat shields that are needed to keep the sensors from melting in 20k miles

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. famoustale

famoustale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    FYI, this is a gen2 part number

13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was looking for Moog Bearings, but they were made in china. So I passed because of the price, and china.
    Mine have a 10 year warranty. So far no problems.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

What did you go with then?

15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  16. Raphael Muscarelle

Raphael Muscarelle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not impressed with Moog.

I do know cheep wheel bearings with sensors in them lack heat shield and cook sensor pretty quickly.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Almost all of the cheap aftermarket hubs fail within a year. I bought Timkens for the rear a couple of years ago and found them to be virtually identical to the oem hubs. Especially the welds and fonts. They are closer to oem price minus the dealer 100% markup. While there are horror stories of rusted on assemblies, I did not find that to be the case.

These part numbers are for a Prius v with standard 16" wheels.

Toyota OEM vs Timken Rear Hub Bearings.jpg

#17 rjparker, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those hubs I bought, for cheap, lasted about 2000 miles. They send new ones, the lasted
    maybe 3000miles? The next set is sitting in the box they were sent in, unopened.
    I didn't have the money to get the timkens. So I went to autozone, who HAD timkens on there
    web page, then didn't.
    The aren't selling them any longer. Bummer! So I had to settle for Moog. The lasted about 10,000 miles.
    and I don't know how long this set has been on but I notice Monday the left front is getting noisey.
    And it's not the tires...... At least it's a quick 30 minute job to replace them.
    Hopefully, when the warranty runs out I'll have the money for Timkens.
    I have timkens on the rears, having had the same problems with the same company.
    They are cheap trq hubs....