1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where can I buy new headlights HID bulbs for 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tracysbeans, Nov 26, 2021.

1. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

The dealership wants $150 for them. Does anyone know where I can find them cheaper? I would appreciate any help!

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes. Let me find some info for you from the place I used.

here's a link to a previous post I had for a website where I bought new bulbs. They are still going strong.

Just make sure you order the correct ones for your year. I think 2006 is probably D4R model and OEM is the 4300 rating brightness

Inconsistent headlights | PriusChat

Pretty sure the 2004/2005 models with HID were the D2R and 2006 -2009 are the D4R models. They should not be interchanged because they use different ballasts for igniting.

AND, you should read this thread to better understand OEM and aftermarket HID bulbs

Not all HID Bulbs are created equal | PriusChat

#2 TMR-JWAP, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  3. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just looked them up on autozone and they are 25 dollars (only 3.8/5 stars)

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For HID bulbs? That's pretty unusual. Most parts stores are in the 90-120 dollar range per bulb.

You may be looking at the standard halogen type bulbs (H4/9003 model halogen bulb)

5. nancytheprius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    up your right not HID! my bad. what is the advantage of those ones?

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the big picture, I don't know that there are enough significant advantages to warrant the extra expense. They were the 'thing' for a few years and then LEDs became more popular. Unfortunately, every Gen 2 Prius that has fog lights also has the HID model headlights, and you can't just install normal H4/9003 bulbs or replace the headlight assembly with a H4/9003 assembly because the wiring harness is different.

7. nancytheprius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    gotcha, well i’ve got the fog lights too so if my bulbs die i guess i’ll be going with HID too then

8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As long as we’re on the subject of HID replacement and problems…. What’s the consensus on they’re bright when turned on for a moment then dimmer level from the bulbs? Is this normal or an indication of a problem?

see Headlight issues | PriusChat
    It seems some people say it’s normal while others say it’s an indication of imminent failure.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Normal to me. When I purchased my 2007 Touring almost 4 years ago, I replaced the headlight bulbs with new Philips D4Rs. The first second after turning on, they glow very brightly, then dial it down a bit. Been like that for almost 4 years. I've always just attributed it to being due to the ballast initially applying 'extra' high voltage to 'ignite' the bulb, then reducing the voltage for normal operation.