1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where did you buy your new chicken danceable KEY FOB, please?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Julia2001, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oocutioo...here are the steps I followed in order to program my vehicle to accept the new key fob, however I will forewarn you that the final step MAY take a little playing around...it did for me and it has for others. The kind person who posted the following steps wasn't completely certain what he used for the last step. His final step did not work for my fob.

My final step was as follows: press both buttons on OLD fob (lock and unlock buttons), press both buttons on NEW fob, then press ONLY the lock button on the new fob.

I have noticed that many people have posted different steps that worked for them for that final step. I suspect what happens is that we all try different steps when we get to that point, and when it finally works none of us truly remembers exactly what we did!

Once you try a final step if it doesn't work, you have to start over again, but it's well worth the effort! Good luck!

Julia

2. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry! I forgot to post the steps!

All, this is to confirm that a BRAND NEW FOB with a silver logo will get FULL functionality (INCLUDING the SMART KEY functionality) if one follows the well known steps outlined in numerous posts in related threads. Since there is one thing that is not clear in these numerous posts which is probably specific to the the FOBs with a silver logo and the smart key functionality, I will repeat the steps here:

Start/stop engine (NO CHANGES over previous posts)
    -------------------
    1. Insert old fob into slot and remove it 4 times in a row, and insert it a fifth time but leave it in there!
    2. Open and close driver door 6 times.
    3. Remove old fob from slot. Car is in fob programming mode at this point. Red anti-theft light remains on.
    4. Insert new fob and leave in the slot for a full minute. Watch the blinking red anti-theft light on the dashboard. When it stops flashing and goes dark, your new fob is all set.
    5. Remove the new fob and you're done.

Lock/unlock doors remotely + SMART KEY functionality
    --------------------
    1. Open the driver door with no fob in slot and the driver door unlocked and opened. Other doors can be locked or unlocked, it doesn't matter.
    2. Insert old fob into slot and remove it twice within 5 seconds.
    3. Close and open driver door twice.
    4. Insert and remove old fob once.
    5. Close and open driver door twice again.
    6. Insert old fob in slot and close door.
    7. Without pressing the brake, press power button, wait a second, press it again, wait a second, press it a third time to turn car back off.
    8. Remove old fob from slot. You'll be in "add mode" at this point. Car should lock and unlock doors to verify it is in add mode. (the precise number of times the car locks/unlocks the door is model specific - but it should do it at least once)
    9. ***the next step is the critical one***
    9(i) Older posts instruct people to do this with the new fob only for a varying number of seconds, e.g. 1,2, or 3. This probably works with the black logo FOB but not with the silver logo FOB.
    9(ii) The most recent post in this thread reads: Press both buttons on old/new fob simultaneously for 4 flashes of the red LED on the fob. There are two changes over older posts here.
    9(iii) NOW, For the silver logo FOBs, it turns out the precise time is not the issue, that is, 1,2, or 3 seconds, or till you get 4 flashes, doesn't matter. The issue is to do this for BOTH the old and the new FOB. One should simultaneously hold down the lock and unlock buttons of a FOB but not simultaneously do it for both FOBs holding down all 4 buttons at the same time. I did this only once so I am not 100% certain about the sequence, but this is what I think worked for me:
    - first press down both buttons of the NEW FOB simultaneously, car responds with locking/unlocking TWICE (not sure this step is even needed as car responding with locking/unlocking TWICE implies this is not a programmed FOB yet for this car)
    - then, say 1 second after the car stops locking/unlocking due to step above, press down both buttons of the OLD FOB simultaneously,
    - then, say after 1 second, press the LOCK button of the NEW FOB. Now, IF SUCCESSFUL car responds with locking/unlocking ONCE implying this new fob is now programmed/paired with this car.
    (iv) As already mentioned in previous posts, you have 40 seconds to play around with the steps in (iii) above. I had to play around a bit since it was not clear to me if one should first use the NEW FOB or the OLD FOB in the sequence of simultaneously pressing both keys. What is clear is that one needs to use BOTH FOBs
    10. To end this programming, open a door or put the fob in the slot.
    11. Even though I don't think it matters, I actually tried the smart key features after I drove the car for a minute while having the new fob in the slot. The smart key functionality worked fine.

Bottom-line: with a NEW key at hand one can get FULL functionality by performing the steps above at home.

Read more: IMPORTANT EXPERIENCE: KEY/FOB Programming Issues | PriusChat

3. oocutioo

oocutioo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks alot julia you are a big helper. Im going to order the key now and will post the result

Nexus 7 ? 2

4. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My pleasure to pass along the help I have received in this forum myself.

Good luck with the programming. It is very very simple. The first part, (the part that makes the fob capable of operating the vehicle while inserted into the slot), takes literally about 15 seconds to accomplish. Very simple.

When you then move on to programming the SKS features, I suggest trying the steps as they are laid out in the post I quoted to you above. If that doesn't work after a couple of tries, try the final step I posted that worked for me. If THAT doesn't work, DON'T GIVE UP! The final step of the chicken dance is simple...we just aren't certain of the sequence of button pressing. You can do this. And it will save you a LOT of money.

I respectfully suggest reading through the steps several times and familiarizing yourself with them while you're waiting for your new fob to arrive in the mail. That made the actual programming very easy for me. I also wrote the final step down on a separate piece of paper, because the poster does a lot of explaining before he gets to that last step. The I brought my IPad into the car with me along with my new and old fobs (pull the little steel key out of one of them so you'll know which is which!) and chicken danced away. It was fun! ;)

If you have any problems feel free to return to this wonderful forum for help. I will do what I can to help you and I'm sure others will as well.

Julia

5. oocutioo

oocutioo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks julia. Just to update i got the key from metro toyota today and follow your guide and got it working the first try on both programming. Now the sks system working 100% and all button works. This is an awesome guide.

Nexus 7 ? 2

usnavystgc likes this.
  6. Julia2001

Julia2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oocutioo! WONDERFUL NEWS! Way to go!

Glad I could be of help to you, as many others here have been helpful to me.

A few more tips for you that I have read here in the forums:

1. Remember to get the little internal steel key cut in case you need it someday. I'm told by a fellow member that they will do it in the auto/lube/tire area of Walmart. Worth a shot. Your local Toyota dealer can also cut them.

2. Keep your key fob in your pocket or purse and never actually USE it. Always use the driver's side door handle to unlock and lock your vehicle. As one gentleman here often says, his key fob goes into his pocket in the morning and doesn't come out for any reason until he empties his pockets at the end of the day.

3. When exiting your vehicle, always lock it (using the driver's door handle). I learned that from another experienced member. He maintains that if you always lock your vehicle when exiting, you will be warned with a number of beeps if something in the car has been left on...a door ajar somewhere, a dome light on, etc....anything that might drain your 12V battery!

4. And never store an active key fob too close to where you park your car. It tends to drain the battery to some degree...or so I've read herein!

Enjoy your new key fob!