1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Battery Balancer/Charger to buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sammydog, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Sammydog

Sammydog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Recently acquired a 1 owner 2007 Prius with 188K miles, had minor front end damage and has now been fixed.
    The car has been sitting for at least 4 months, the car doesn't start because the HV battery is very low. I've spent a few weeks reading the different posting on PriusChat and watching YouTube videos regarding reconditioning HV battery pack. I'm confused about which units I should be buying? It seems like the battery balancer/charges that are mentioned are either back ordered or no longer available. I'm ready to place an order to get at least 4 individual modules or a unit that has the ability to charge 4 modules. Where and what battery balancer/charger should I be buying? Is it possible to post a wanted ad on PriusChat for balancer/chargers?

Thank You!

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    With enough research, there should be no confusion. Many others have done what you are contemplating on doing; very well documented.

Contact @Jmack111. He supposedly is in the Tacoma area, and is a big proponent of module swaps, charging/discharging, etc.

Skibob likes this.
  3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think @PriusCamper works around the Seattle area also.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Raytheeagle and Skibob like this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm an hour south of you... I have charging gear for when the pack is in the car, but fan controller just died and am ordering replacement today. I also have 7 chargers for charging each of the individual 28 modules, but you have to take car and battery pack apart to do that. Let me know how I can help?

The other thing to keep in mind is the reason the battery drained down in the first place. Often people with engine problems will drain the battery down trying to get the engine running and in that case recharging the battery won't be much of a solution.

Raytheeagle, Skibob and jerrymildred like this.