1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is my engine revving while idling and getting a P0011 code?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wbs887700, Oct 26, 2021.

1. wbs887700

wbs887700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Does anyone have any idea why I keep getting the p0011 code, and when I get it something under the hood sounds like the engine is revving or pulsating up and down? Is it something that I can fix myself? What can I do about this?

I've been getting p0011 for the past 6 months occasionally, and now it's coming on much more often.... basically, when my Prius is idling in park, sometimes it will sound like the engine is revving up and down and then the check engine light will come on.

P0011 means "intake camshaft in Bank 1 is more advanced" and I don't really know what that means exactly.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wbs887700 likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wbs887700 likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A camshaft controls when the valves at the top of the engine open and close. The intake cam controls when air (& fuel) go into each cylinder while the exhaust cam controls hot gases (the results of combustion) out. Each cam spins (in a clockwise direction), driven by a chain and sprockets from the crankshaft.

The exhaust cam is bolted directly to its sprocket- the rotational position relationship between them is fixed. If you have a mark on the sprocket, everytime it comes to the straight up position (12:00), the cam will be in the exact same position every time.

Now for the intake cam, having a fixed positional relation isn't the most efficient for every RPM condition. If there is a mark on the intake sprocket and that comes up to 12:00 position, maybe the intake cam IS best at "12:00" when the engine is idling (known as the fully "retarded" position). But at higher RPM, maybe having the cam at 12:45 or 1:00 position is better. Since the cam rotates clockwise, it reaches any given position "sooner" than the sprocket- this called advancing the cam. That is what Variable Valve Timing does- alters the rotational position of the cam to its sprocket (from 0 to 40° on the prius ).

The engine computer (ECM) monitors the cam position, and if it's not where it should be, then the ECM sets a code. P0011 indicates that the intake cam is more advanced than what the ECM wants it to be. Something in the VVT system isn't working correctly. The system uses pressurized engine oil - directed by a solenoid valve that is controlled by the ECM- to act on a mechanism inside the intake sprocket to move the cam. A common cause for this code is that some carbon grit or varnish causes the solenoid valve to stick in the "advance the cam" direction. (I assume that the warning light goes out when the ECM actually wants the cam to be advanced).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

wbs887700 likes this.
  5. wbs887700

wbs887700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One

Thank you for that.

I'm still getting the p0011 code with the engine revving.... Can you please tell me how I can clean the solenoid your talking about to remove any possible sludge or build up? It's getting worse and worse

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base

Attached Files:

#6 alftoy, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
    SFO likes this.