1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiggley OBD Port and Tech Stream

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by The Phoenix, Feb 6, 2019.

1. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have just purchased a version of Tech Stream and it will be arriving this Thursday. I read some posts here trying to decide which one to purchase. There didn't seem to be a diffinative answer so I picked the one that came with a book pamphlet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DR9DW1J

My question is does anyone know where there is some good information about how to use it and are all of the sellers selling the same thing? I would really appreciate any feedback.

Also where I plug in the OBD, is loose, I have to reach my hand up and hold the back of it to plug it in. Is there a harness it snapped out of? If anyone has any information about this as well it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    There is, but it’s costly. See my description of the Techstream Lite kit from Toyota.
    Toyota’s Repair Manual (more info) for the vehicle explains the diagnostic trouble codes, data list items, active tests, and utility functions provided in the Techstream software. For beginners, I’d suggest starting with the Introduction, especially the “How to Troubleshoot ECU Controlled Systems” section.

Techstream also has an online help file, but that’s only for the software itself—you still need access to the Repair Manual or equivalent for each model you’re servicing.

SFO likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what could be wrong with the OBD2 port under the steering wheel, have you grabbed a flashlight and had a look up there ?

Slightly related, I've read (somewhere) that the OBD2 port is only good for a limited number of insertions (which may or not be true). It might be a good idea to pick up an OBD2 extension cable or a Y-splitter online, then affix it with velcro/ziptie in a place that will offer easier access.

4. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That is all great feedback thank you. This will definitely be a learn as I go experience. One review on the specific Tech Stream I'm getting says there is not utilities function, whereas another says this specific one "got it right" compared to all the others. I really like the OBD extension cable idea, I never even thought of that, thanks, keep all the info coming!

SFO and Elektroingenieur like this.
  5. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I did get a chance to look up there nothing seems broken I can push the OBD down into its sleeve and its solid and than as soon as I apply upward force to it with a connector it pushes right out of the sleeve. I'm honestly thinking of just a few drops of super glue to hold it. I did take SFO's advice and I bought a splitter and I now have an easy accessible port for when I get my tech stream running and one for my scan gauge. I am including some pictures. I mounted it too far to left the first time. I than mounted it further right to be more out of the way. 20190212_135424.jpg 20190212_144633.jpg 20190212_144646.jpg