1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will dust lead to rust?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by srivenkat, Oct 2, 2020.

1. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi All,

I haven't washed my blue Prime in a little over a month of ownership so far. I do see faint dust on the car, but it doesn't bother me enough to wash it. If there are any chemists on here, I wonder if having a faintly dust laden car could run the risk of rust. Any studies/observations/recommendations out there on frequent washing/polishing vs letting nature (rain) take care of the car once in a while, in terms of developing rust?

Thanks.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know of no such studies, but common sense tells me a layer of dry dust on a painted surface or even on bare metal should have very little if any, effects on rusting, but whatever accumulating, dust, leaves or any other debris, can absorb moisture, then that may lead to oxidation.of the underlying metal.

Yeah, I let rain takes care of my car, but I will have to give my PP a good bath soon to try out the wax recommended on other thread. Questions about cleaning and waxing the Prius Prime | PriusChat I am not into car detailing, but I wanted to give a try to see if that will keep the paint in good condition in a long run.

jerrymildred and srivenkat like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've settled on 6-monthly wash, in conjunction with waxing. Very low miles though, under 5k per year now. And garage stored, so no morning dew deposits.

srivenkat likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but your car sits in a garage most of the time. lol... Mine, on the other hand, is always outside, under the trees. Now pollen is no longer problem, but falling leaves, pine needles, and acorns are accumulating in the front cowl.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    This would make me nervous, what with reports of mice chewing on the soy-insulation of the HV cable. Do you use any electronic means to ward these off?

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, we use an organic solution. My wife takes care of stray and feral TNR cats. Our cars are always surrounded by multiple cats. So far, we have never seen any rodent problems outside. On the other hand, inside the garage (which is being used more as a barn, but cats are not allowed to be inside) has a definite rodent infestation. So, it is much safer to park our car out on the driveway. lol

#6 Salamander_King, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    pghyndman, Mendel Leisk and srivenkat like this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    duplicate deleted

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never washed in 8 years, no rust that i can see

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dirty motorcycles go faster. I assume the same holds true for cars. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, though, the dust won't cause rust unless it's salt laden dust like we had living on an island. Here, away from the ocean, I wash and wax two or three times a year. Might hose them off now and then during dry spells if they have lots of pollen on them, but that's not for rust.

Oh; and during our two love bug seasons, I try to keep the front clean since love bug guts eat paint. (Maybe if the FL Chamber of Commerce told people about love bugs, we wouldn't be getting so crowded here. :whistle:)