1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Will Toyota build other plug-ins beyond the Prime?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by telmo744, Apr 26, 2017.

Tags:
?
  1. Toyota Prius v

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Toyota Prius c

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Toyota Rav 4

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Toyota Camry

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  5. Toyota Avalon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Toyota C-HR

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Lexus NX

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. Lexus CT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Lexus RX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No other PHV will be built by Toyota group

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have read somewhere, or inferred somehow, that Toyota plug-in future developments would rely on the Prime's success.
    Well, currently it is selling good numbers...

What comes next, mr.Toyoda?

What model we, Priuschatters, would expect to be the next Toyota PHV? Do we believe it will happen?

dalcon95 likes this.
  2. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO Toyota should take advantage of government grants across the world and present low cost low range PHEV of ALL their current hybrid line up.

Cost of such a plug-in hybrid would be minimally more (maybe $2k at producing 1 mil/year) but price for many customers would be less or around the same as curent hybrids, all you have to do is:
    - add 4 kWh li-ion battery instead of 1 kWh
    - add on board charger

I know everyone here will be whining range is too small, but range will not sell a PHEV, price will, Prius Prime is proof of that and I hope Toyota is thinking the same.

Future Toyota Hybrid slogan: You can charge it ... but you don't need to.

telmo744, dalcon95 and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey no Sienna minivan on your list.
    We need Toyota to design a new model. like a Prius but a little bigger, to allow PHEV + good cargo space. Just like Prius was designed around hybrid concept, we need a vehicle designed around plug-in concept instead of a shoe horn into another model. Although Prius v might work as a platform.

#3 wjtracy, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    telmo744 likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Going by their rate of introducing hybrids, I won't expect a plug in option on current models until a redesign. The new Camry hybrid is the next to come out. So I see that as the most likely to get a PHEV option. It will also give Toyota a competitor to the Sonata and Fusion PHEVs. The CH-R is also possible to be next, but North America doesn't even get the hybrid yet, and we are the next biggest one after Japan for hybrids and plug ins.

I also have my doubts on Toyota's commitment to plug ins at this point. The Prime is doing well, but they still are trying to push FCEVs. Mostly in Japan, but the Prius plug ins were both designed with Japan in mind. The rest of the world is mostly seen as a way of supporting their domestic operations.
    The small battery plug in has its potential in lower price. It could work in the future when the incentives favoring larger batteries are gone. After their experience with the PiP, I don't see Toyota trying it though.

5. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought one step at a time... Sienna hybrid isn't offered yet.

6. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid needs some competition!!

#1 in Easley,SC

telmo744 likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they have said as much, with no time frame. it would probably be best if they wait until batteries can b located without interfering with trunk space.
    i would not say that prime is selling well in the u.s.

8. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last 4 months sold more units than Prius c...

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    says more about the c, but are we talking u.s. or worldwide?

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It sold around 2500 in Feb in Japan. The US has been consistently above 1000 and near the Volt's numbers every month. It's doing well for plug in.

The Prius c and v are just doing poorly here, with rumors that we may not even get the next v.

11. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dashboard summary March 2017 | PriusChat

I think you may find interesting this thread. Prime also ahead of Nissan Leaf.
    In Europe there has been some demand, but deliveries started just now, there aren't facts/numbers to evaluate market response.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to replace the CT with something else since the CT will go to pasture next year. (Replaced with the UX... or basically a CH-R-based Lexus SUV).

I'm thinking a two-pronged approach. China just introduced legislation that requires manufacturers to sell x% of cars as EVs or PHEVs (two tiered... I think 2018 and 2022?). They label hybrids as internal combustion engines so Toyota can't rely on its wide range of hybrid vehicles to import into China. (Between that and the US, it may be why Toyota's finally getting on the EV wagon).

So, that being said, I think either a Corolla or Camry PHV will be launched for China and for the U.S., Toyota may launch a RAV4 PHV to compete with the Outlander PHEV. Considering that the RAV4 Hybrid tops out at CAD$41,000 ($49k after taxes), I don't wanna know what the plug-in version might cost :eek:.

They need a battery size that's scalable to other vehicles. The Camry and RAV4 could use the same battery (spread the cost of R&D) but they'll get lower AER because of their heavier weight so Toyota needs to develop a battery design that can be enlarged or shrunk with minimal cost.

Alternatively, they just build two different sizes - one for small cars, one for large cars or small SUVs. Toyota has just recently gotten to the point that they can put reasonable sized batteries under the rear seats (The Prius c is quite small so let's start with the more powerful Gen 4) so hopefully they can continue work on the PHEV-sized batteries.

telmo744 likes this.
  13. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a news a year ago that Toyota will launch Corolla and Levin PHV in China, I was searching if there was anything new about it, but found only this:
    Plug-in hybrid variants of the Corolla and Levin are scheduled for release in 2018.

So there you have it, next Plug-in from Toyota will be Corolla and Levin, but only for the Chinese market.

My bet is that every market will have it's locally produced PHV model (Trump import tax, EU import tax) of current best selling hybrid. For US Camry and RAV4 are the two most obvious and for EU Yaris, Auris and/or C-HR.

14. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice article on the plug-in hybrid situation:
    Op-Ed: The Reality of the Plug-in Hybrid

And this is statement that I 100% agree and Toyota should do something about ASAP:
    It seems to me that once you’ve gone to the trouble to design a hybrid, you might as well give it a plug, even if the EV range isn’t that impressive. Any EV range, even 15 miles, is better than no EV range.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first mistake in that article is that plug ins are 1%, which means that the other 99% are traditional cars. this isn't the case at all. hybrids should be differentiated from gassers.

agree on the need for more charging stations. and in better locations.
    the problem with giving every hybrid a plug is cost and battery infringement on space.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'fueling up at home with electricity will be the cheapest fuel'. not where i live, but i realize i'm in the minority.

17. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Long term this will likely change for you.

18. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And there may be time-of-use plans that encourage night charging anyway.

Toyota really needs to work on their battery packaging in any future PHEVs - the Prime's packaging is an absolute joke, especially considering what Volkswagen (Volkswagen!) and Hyundai have done.

19. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The cost of electricity varies widely across the US. This s/s breaks out the cost per kWh across the US (dated 2015).

20. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree, As far as I'm aware Prime has unused space for solar installation under rear seats and also rear suspension doesn't help.