1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Controls Malfunctioning After Service

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bevhoward, Aug 8, 2021.

1. bevhoward

bevhoward Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Took my 2020 Prime to the local (Austin, TX) for the first "scheduled service" under warranty, but when i picked up the vehicle there were (apparently) computer related problems (that I could not immediately address because I was leaving for an extended period)

The first problem was that the next day the car repeated the serious 12v battery depletion problem discussed in this thread. Not sure what I did, but after multiple start/stop/poweroff/etc finally the computer settled down and (knock on wood) the shutdown/12vbatteryfail has not happened again for now 4 months.

The second problem is that the window controls seem to have been reprogrammed during the service. Two windows didn't open unless I manually grabbed the glass and applied downward pressure while pressing the open button.

More disturbing, when the windows were closed, they noticably "bulged" in the frame from the force of the window motor continuing to press after they closed.

One of the windows that didn't open after the service has since started to work, but another still will not open using the window button. Once, it DID open, then when it was subsequently closed it cannot be opened.

I'm finally back, but I am reluctant to take the car back to Toyota since it appears that if it is connected to their programming computer, I'm going to have some serious problems.

So, Question? It looks like there is some setting that controls the "window closed" position. Has anyone else encountered this, and does anyone know if it's possible to address it without going to the dealer???

Additionally, it "appears" that the window "bulging" is no longer happening in the three windows that work... that suggests that the car might have some type of sensing and correction capability built into the onboard computer... any knowledge or thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
    Beverly Howard

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unless something changed significantly for the Prime, the procedure for Prius windows to relearn where 'up' is should be in the owner's manual in a section describing things that have to be done after having the battery disconnected or replaced (or badly discharged). It generally involves just rolling the window down, then back up, and holding the switch in the up position for several seconds after the glass has stopped. It may bulge a little from the force, but should end up remembering that position is where to stop.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The windows can need to be initialized even if the 12V was not disconnected, although it hasn't happened to me yet. Page 301 in the 2017 Prime owners manual:
    Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 3.37.09 PM.png

For info on things to initialize after disconnecting the 12V:
    Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 3.37.40 PM.png

PtPri and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You'd think a competent dealership would hook up a memory saver before disconnecting the 12 volt. That way you don't lose anything: window auto-up, radio presets, trip meters, and so on. I've also noticed, after intentionally disconnecting ours without memory saver (say for brake work), that the next start-up or two the car does an odd rev-up when starting, maybe calibrating something.

But yeah, if I'm just disconnecting battery, for a swap, I'll lay my jump pack in the driver's footwell, and run a purpose-built memory saver cable from the pack to the obd port.

jerrymildred and PtPri like this.
  5. bevhoward

bevhoward Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Wow... that worked even though that was not exactly the problem.

As mentioned, while it was possible to open and close the window (right front passenger window) from that side, the window could not be opened nor closed from the driver's side control.

I took your tip and executed it from the passenger seat, and, when I was finished, the window worked from the passenger seat, but it also worked from the driver's window control.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Beverly Howard

Mendel Leisk and jerrymildred like this.