1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield bracket for rain sensor

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Scott Miller, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Scott Miller

Scott Miller New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I bought a used 2021 Prius Prime and the rain sensor does not work. After some troubleshooting and reading the forum, I determined that it was never properly placed following replacement of the windshield by the previous owner. I know my sensor is good. I properly cleaned the tape but it has lost its adhesive abilities and I must get new.

My question is this: is there supposed to be a bracket on the windshield that the rain sensor attaches to or is there only the tape that holds the sensor in place? I can’t find any mention of a bracket and don’t see one in the parts list but lots of troubleshooting mention sliding tabs off to release the rain sensor.

The dealer has offered to fix it for more than $500. That seems excessive. Anyone know what part number that bracket is? Or if I even need it?

2. Scott Miller

Scott Miller New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Trying to show where the rain sensor mounts. There is no bracket. Is that right? IMG_3532.jpeg IMG_3533.jpeg

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This part fits the vehicle you selected:
    My Vehicle: 2021 Toyota Prius Prime

89941-47021 Sensor, Rain & HUMID
    89943-47021 sensor cover
    89944-42020 sensor tape

89944-42020 Genuine Toyota Tape, Rain Sensor

the cover and sensor are listed on that page in the related parts for me, but after checking again I see other items in the related parts.
    89943-47021 Genuine Toyota Cover, Rain Sensor
    89941-47021 Genuine Toyota Sensor, Rain & HUMID
    Sometimes parts at the local dealer are cheaper than online after shippings added

Make sure to put in your year and model or VIM for fitment.

#3 vvillovv, Feb 25, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  4. Scott Miller

Scott Miller New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you for responding. Yes, I have reviewed all these parts, but I am asking a different question. In addition to the tape that holds the sensor to the windshield, is there a bracket of some type that also holds the sensor to the windshield? I cannot seem to find any, but many rain sensor troubleshooting directions mention one. There is nothing on any of the parts lists. The rain sensor cover does not perform this function.

Again thanks for replying. I probably have to find a similar year that has rain sensing wipers and look at it to verify. The parts lists do not mention a bracket to attach the sensor to the windshield.

5. Scott Miller

Scott Miller New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Still have not gotten to see how these things are attached, but here’s a neat tip. If you remove the faulty rain sensor, your windshield wipers will operate as regular intermittent wipers.