1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WINDSHIELD REPLACEMENT

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KRISTJAN ANTALIC, Jan 15, 2020.

1. KRISTJAN ANTALIC

KRISTJAN ANTALIC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Greetings All!

I just got a quote for $1,500 for an OEM windshield replacement, including $400 in calibration services.

Any thoughts?

Can I safely put an after-market glass and do the calibration myself or hope that the calibration stays the same?

Seems like an awful lot of money for a windshield replacement, IMHO.

Hopefully others have been through this and can share their experiences.

Thanks,

Kristjan

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this going to be a insurance claim or are you paying out of your pocket? Yeah, the price quoted is way too high. I don't know if aftermarket windshield is now available for Prime and Gen4. For a while when I had my windshield replaced, there were no aftermarket windshield parts yet and OEM windshield was on back order for a long waiting.

Retail price of the windshield is around $800...
    Cursory search for the part found this: 56101-4E954 - Genuine Toyota GLASS SUB-ASSEMBLY, WIND
    MSRP $764
    , but can be had for less than $600.

However, if you are going to order the parts yourself, you may want to refer to this thread and read comments to make sure the parts number is correct.
    Windshield replacement, special order needed? | Page 2 | PriusChat

In any case, add regular installation cost onto this, it still should cost only $700-$900.

The calibration for the front facing camera cost me only $100 at my Toyota dealer. It is an easy half hour job if you have the manual and place to perform it. I would shop around to get better quote. And I suggest you to get non-deductible glass replacement plan on your insurance if you don't have one already. PRIME and Gen4 windshield are prone to crack, at least more so than many other cars I know. Luckily I had a non-deductible coverage, and my replacement did not cost me anything.

#2 Salamander_King, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    MTN and jerrymildred like this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ what he said.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How much extra was the non-deductible clause? Was that just for glass?

(Assume it's much better than the deductible, but just sayin'.)

#4 Mendel Leisk, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For my current policy from Geico, it was only ~$10 more for 6 months. And it is for any damages. Before switching to Geico, I had a different insurance company, they had glass only coverage for about the same cost.

SeattleBebop1 likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The great feature GEICO offer is that I can play with any part of my policy coverage for the "what if" scenario online and it will give me a confirmable quote on spot. Change in coverage takes only a few cricks on computer screen. I never have to call or get calls from any of the reps. For my comprehensive part of the policy which covers glass breakage, it has from max $2500 deductible to $0 deductible. The difference between $2500 and $0 deductible is about $35. But I had more common $500 deductible at first sign-up which was only $10 cheaper than $0 deductible. Picked the best protection. No brainer.

maxx1010 likes this.
  8. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Windshields are zero deductible with comprehensive insurance in South Carolina. Anything else is $500 or $1,000 deductible.

SeattleBebop1 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A full function website, whatever the business, is a big plus, and I think some companies are going to fold because they're dragging their heels.

Celliott1778 likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, most insurance companies have a full web site for getting a quote on a policy, but most of them do not allow full confirmation on-line. I check quotes on my car insurance every few years or when I get a new car. A personal insurance agent is great, but I have not found a good local agent in my area. With many on-line insurance quotes, I have to give my phone number or e-mail address to confirm the quote. Then often my phone number or e-mail ends up in the hands of many commission-hungry agents most of them not from my local area. They keep calling or sending an email or snail mail long after I decided on a company. I hate that. Apparently, GEICO has no commissioned agents. Everything is handled on-line and it has worked perfectly for me.

11. dunston

dunston Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had to replace the windshield on my 2017 advanced and it was $400 out the door. Would’ve been 300 if I didn’t have the heads up display. This was with non-OEM glass. They did not charge me to calibrate anything

SeattleBebop1 and maxx1010 like this.
  12. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I used aftermarket glass for my gen 4 hatchback and got it done for about $300, but they didn't get the lane departure alignment right, so I just turned it off. I don't miss it.

maxx1010 likes this.
  13. SeattleBebop1

SeattleBebop1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Useful information. My deductible is $500. I suspect I'll just pay out of pocket as long as I can get a replacement + calibration below that.
    I'm sadly having to shop around for quotes now, as the chip that the dealer promised me would be fixed was not fixed, leading to a crack, and the crack repair failed.

20210329_170117.jpg 20210329_163639.jpg

Salamander_King likes this.
  14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OEM windshield costs more than $500. IIRC, mine was ~$800 parts alone when I had to replace it for my 2017 PP only 2 weeks after purchase. At the time there was no aftermarket part, but I read someone who had an aftermarket windshield installed since then. On top of the installation cost, there is forward-facing camera calibration required after windshield replacement. Again, I have read someone had this done by a third company now, but at the time I had mine done, only Toyota dealer could perform this. The calibration cost alone was ~$100, but I have read some people who was charged way more than that from a dealer.

15. SeattleBebop1

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

Here's the quote I just got from Novus. More for the calibration, less for the windshield. Novus_Quote.jpg

Salamander_King likes this.
  16. SeattleBebop1

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Safelite Quote. Looks like recalibration is just expensive? Safelite_Quote.jpg

17. SeattleBebop1

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I found out when I called Progressive today that I could get zero deductible windshield replacement for $30 (6 month policy). No brainier for me when you factor in the expense due to calibration plus glass cost.

My current windshield replacement, sadly, I'll have to pay the $500 comprehensive deductible first. Live & learn. I didn't know windshield insurance was a thing. But at least they didn't give me a hard time -- I explained the origin of the darn big crack is the chip that the dealer promised was filled -- so a "pre-existing condition."

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  18. andrewassurance83

andrewassurance83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I was able to replace my windshield with a $500 deductible using Bindrght auto insurance. I find it a fair deal.

19. Peng Xiao

Peng Xiao Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I believe most insurance company use aftermarket windshield. If you want OEM you need to pay the difference.
    I replaced on my GX years ago, I have $500 deductible, I chose aftermarket which is just over $500.