1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiper Replacement only available from dealer???

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by barbaram, Jan 15, 2020.

1. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2018 Prime is now 1 year old and I’m in the habit of changing the wiper blades. Store could only find 1 kind of Bosch but they did not have the proper clips to fit!?!?! They were supposed to fit according the the computer but no way foul they be mounted on the arms.

Does anyone have information on blades I can order other than from the dealer?Thanks in advance.

2. Nuclear_Charged

Nuclear_Charged New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    iv found that the toyota replacement wiper rubbers to be ok quality and cheaper then the aftermarket stuff

Tips and barbaram like this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #3 Salamander_King, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    barbaram likes this.
  4. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks everyone! After years of performing this one small task myself this was unexpected.

java007md and Salamander_King like this.
  5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read in other threads that there are some aftermarket wiper blades that does fit Gen4 and PRIME out there. But finding one on store shelf or on-line store turned out to be very hard, at least in my local or by my on-line search. OEM wipers are good quality. Even though I purchased spare OEM wiper blades and rubber refills soon after getting my PRIME 2.5 years ago, I am still using the original wipers on my car. Spare wipers are in my car for future use, but at this rate, I probably never have to buy another wiper for this car.

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I was in that habit too......back when one could get a pair of replacement refills for about $5.
    Now you can't find them for most cars anymore.
    So I wait until they start showing signs of wear and get replacements at the dealer.
    That is usually about every 3 years.

Note: They should last longer if you clean them off good with a paper towel once a month or so.

7. Chazman62

Chazman62 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Also, AFTER you clean the rubber blades, wipe them with silicone based cleaner or Armor All which will prolong the life of the rubber.
    Sun does lots of damage on the rubber blade while getting cooked in hot summer day.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I clean the exterior of the windshield with a heavy-duty automotive glass cleaner, once in a while. And go over the wiper blades with a cloth damp with the same stuff (usually the cloth I just did the windshield with). This, not sure if it's available in the States:

Glass Kleen Industrial-Strength Glass Cleaner | Princess Auto

Our 2010 has 85K kms, is garage stored, and I just did the first wiper blade replacement. Just the rubber inserts, and the old ones still looked fine, just figured it was time. Seems like they're hard to get locally, from dealerships?? I didn't bother asking, went with Amayama, about $10 CDN apiece.

#8 Mendel Leisk, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry but that is NOT a good idea, especially the Armor All part because it will leave the rubber blades coated with an oil-like substance that will catch dirt and dust and cause more harm than good.

Also, if you have a light rain immediately thereafter, they won't work for CRAP the first few minutes and may actually cause streaking more than worn out blades.

10. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    See: https://priuschat.com/posts/2834949/

Also:

Also:

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't need them, but someone looking for an aftermarket wiper blade can try them. The first one shows different hook in the photo although it says for PRIME and is Pinch Tab Button Top Push Lock. I still think TOYOTA OEM wipers are the best quality and cost not much more than premium aftermarket ones. On other cars, I have used premium aftermarket wiper blades but never lasted as long as the TOYOTA OEM wipers I have on my car now. Going to the third winter, always parked outside, frozen in ice and snow in winter, baked by the sun in the summer, never cleaned, no special care, but still as good as new. Can't ask for anything better.