1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wire harness chewed by an animal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by fivem1msn, Apr 25, 2014.

1. fivem1msn

fivem1msn New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Has this happened to anyone else and what did you do to straighten out the problem so it would not happen again. $2,500 damage so far and I saw the damage under my hood. The dealer said that it happens often to the wires. Please send me suggestions on how to prevent this ...I pray that this is not a deal breaker on keeping this car...I just can't gamble on this happening again...

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I posted it another forum: MouseProofing the Prius | Page 4 | PriusChat

Believe it or not, It's the official Honda's way to protect the car wires. Toyota should offer a similar solution or maybe something higher tech like ultrasound alarm emitters.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! you should probably sell the car, if you search around here, you will see that it is a recurring problem and it's a lot of tricky work to try and prevent it. unfortunately, nothing is absolutely mouse proof. all the best!(y)

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A lot of skeptics, here, have "pooh-poohed" my experience of having kept rodents out of my car with "rustproofing" like this stuff.

Just two cans will cover the area in and under the engine compartment and the trunk-hatch area near the battery vents.

It appears that rodents are repelled by the petroleum smell and the waxy petroleum residue left on the wires.

The stuff has the added benefit of coating the metal connectors to inhibit corrosion. It also makes nut and bolt removal easier. In forty years of using this stuff, I've NEVER had a bolt that was frozen in place by rust and corrosion.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not skeptical, but i need more evidence. didn't you say you don't have rodent problems anyway?

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, but my neighbors who live on each side of me do.

That's enough for me.

acceleraptor likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't argue with that.(y)

9. JonWaters

JonWaters Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've got mice eating my new Prius 4 already (only 800 miles). I've read the other threads about keeping mice out but this stuff could be a reasonable option. Do you spray it on the wires or just on the metal body parts? Any other tips about using it?BTW if you suffer damage due to rodents to your car it might be covered by your Comprehensive auto insurance. It is a natural disaster!

10. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Since the stuff is a petroleum wax, it is a non conduction dielectric. I spry it all over the wires and connectors. It actually coats the metal connecotrs and prevents corrosion from moisture. Nice thing is that it is cheap and last for years.