1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Would You Recommend a Specific Trim Level?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cdogstu99, Jan 15, 2017.

1. cdogstu99

cdogstu99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the market for a 3rd Gen Prius and trying to find a 2013 or 2014 with <50K miles. For reference I have two kids and do a fair amount of highway driving to and from work. I'm trying to decide what's the best trim level to get. Is there one thing that you would say is an absolute necessity? I'm tempted by the Softex seats just because of the two kids---figure clean up is easier? The backup camera seems like it might be a cool feature (but is it?). A few extra speakers sounds cool--but is it worth it? The nav system seems almost unecessary maybe with an iphone? (am i right?) Most of what i'm seeing for sale is the Two and Three trim levels and it does seem like i would pay up for that 3 or 4 trim. But just trying to get a sense of what might be worth paying up for. Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think 2 is the best value. what do you get with 3, upgraded stereo? better off replacing the h/u. what about 3 door sks?

3. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    how long are you gong to keep it? .... I ask because getting an 11-12 with low miles will be cheaper .. as they age out the options add less and less to the car. We have an 11 five -- I wanted the LED headlights and the 17 wheels .. did not want the sunroof. The fives don't come with sunroof. In 2012 they stopped the leather -- its the softex as you mention. The softex with kids would be a plus -- I think all the 4 have navigation and backup.

They sold many more 2&3's

4. cdogstu99

cdogstu99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm thinking at least 5 years, hopefully a lot more. I guess that's why I was leaning towards something newer. I'm kind of in the back of my head gearing my purchase to get the most out of the 10 year/150K battery warranty. I guess a low mile '12 would fit that need, maybe even an '11. Are there any notable differences between an 2011, 2012, 2013? Haven't tried out a V ---how do you like it?

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We have a 2010 Prius II and have a 5 and 4 year old. Owned the car through their infancy and it has served us well. It has cloth seats and we have had no issues with it yet.

We went the less options route as we did not see the value in some of the "upgrades". Standard stereo is fine, the seats are comfortable enough and glad we did not get the nav unit (we use or phones for directions).

146 k miles and going strong. As @yeldogt said there are more of the 2s and 3s out there. Any year gen 3 IMO is good.

Good luck(y).

6. tonycd

tonycd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    We recently got a 2010 Prius 5. Of course, as the cars get older, you pay less of a difference to move up in trim level; older used car buyers simply aren't willing to pay a lot more to move up. To me, the one thing worth paying extra for in the upper Prius trims is the seats. Not just for the upholstery itself, but because of the adjustable lumber support and more multi-adjustable seat bottom position.

Not everyone with a 2 or 3 agrees that the seats are all-day comfortable; they've generated a lot of complaints on this board, as you'll find if you run a search. I mention this because I notice you said you do a lot of highway driving, which implies longer stretches behind the wheel. It might be worth the investment to you; nothing affects your enjoyment of a car more than whether you're seated comfortably.

7. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just re-read the location of the OP as Boston. Leather / Softex gets you heated seats if that is important to you. Sunroof, 3 door SKS & leather pointed me to the 4 I got. Buddy at work has a 13 or 14 level 2. The guages, tail lights, and turn signals were upgraded on 12 and up. Also different front seat cup holders 12 and up.

If you really want to dig deep into the changes among the Gen3 years, check out this thread. The first post is really long. At the bottom of that 1st post is a link to a spreadsheet with all the changes through those years.
    3G Prius (2010-2015) Standard and Optional Equipment (Some Countries) | PriusChat

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well with highway driving, I'd suggest a top level Five with radar cruise control and Lane Keep Assist. But if that's out of your budget, then any trim level will serve you well.

Are the kids in the strollers? Do you require loading equipment in the hatch? If so, then a 3-dr SKS model might be more convenient. (Any trim level except the base "Two").

The backup camera is quite good. I found it clearer than the 2016 one (don't know if it's the screen or the camera quality but I'm leaning towards camera quality for the 2016). My 2010's camera is displayed on a 7" LCD and it's clear day and night. I've had it covered in winter crud and yes it's dirty, it still is visible as long as you're not backing towards the direction of the sun. I find water droplets tend to hang around the lens on the 2016 more often than our 2010.

Five models come with LED low beams and headlight washers (2012-2015 models add LED parking lights and LED DRLs) if that's important to you in the winter.

SofTex or leather-equipped vehicles will come with single-stage heated front seats (and minor thing but those models also get fabric-wrapped A and B pillars for a more upscale interior). These models also get a power driver's lumbar support adjustment.

JBL isn't necessary but if you do get it, the front sound stage is quite good. The rear is so-so.

Note that for 2012-2015 models, there is a difference in head-unit and navigation software between those with a 6.1" Display Audio unit and those with a "Premium HDD Navigation w/ 7" LCD". The 6.1" version is a 3rd party unit with graphics that look very similar to a Garmin. Navigation is treated like an app and runs on a flash drive. The 7" LCD units use a hard-drive-based nav unit and it's Toyota's in-house navigation software (if you've owned Toyotas before with navigation). The 7" screen is of a higher resolution.

9. marlinsmobile

marlinsmobile Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went through this decision about a year ago. I actually prefer cloth seats, so I knew my decision was between a two or a three. For me, the premium for a three (was about $600 then) would definitely be worth it. However, we were in somewhat of a hurry, and a three wasn't available in the year/color/mileage/condition I wanted. So, I went with a two and had the backup camera and XM installed later.
    • I would definitely miss the backup camera. It was about $220 for the kit and installation.
    • I would definitely miss XM (radio options in my city are terrible). It was about $320 for the kit and installation.
    • We use our phones for navigation. Mobile apps are way better than the installed navigation from what I read.
    • We do sometimes regret not having the 3-door smart key system (available on three or higher), which allows you to unlock the driver's door, passenger's door, and hatch with a touch (instead of pressing the key fob button). The two only has smart key on the driver's door. More discussion on that here: How useful is three-door SKS vs. one-door? | PriusChat
    You can get the specific list of features for each trim level from the e-brochure: Pre-Owned Toyota Prius | Certified Used Hybrid Car (scroll down a little to "download an e-brochure" on the left).

10. RyanM

RyanM Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a three with nav and I do like the JBL but I really don't make use of the nav. I find it easier to use my samsung note (the non, exploding one) if I need to map something quick.

11. cdogstu99

cdogstu99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks this is really helpful info! In all reality the maxed out Five's are few and far between near me and it seems that the markup is kind of not really worth it to me.

12. cdogstu99

cdogstu99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the comments. Yeah I think a backup camera is one of those things I kind of must have based on all the comments i see about 'blind spots'. Good to know that after-market is even a possibility. And good to know about navigation--I use Google Maps in my current vehicle, so it wouldn't really be a change at all.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome.

Yes, top models are typically harder to find (fewer sold than lower trim levels) and also those that are for sale, depending on region, may be quicker to sell (because the price difference between a used base and a used top model is much smaller than when both were new).

The PriusChat Shop does offer something similar to Honda's LaneWatch, allowing you to activate the rear camera when changing lanes (by turning on your indicators) if you're worried about blind spots.

Toyota Prius Turn Signal / Hazard Rear Camera Activation Kit w/ Navigation Override - All Models - PriusChat Shop

14. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I purchased a Five precisely for the Radar Cruise Control. Yes, you still need to pay attention, but lets you relax more as you are not making constant speed decisions. If you can afford a Gen 4, then it is active down to stop/go, which I have on another car, and that's totally amazing, but I wanted a Gen 3 for the extra room.

My experience with the lane assist is that its less of a big deal. Keeping a car in the lane is almost a subconscious act. I also think it should be a little more aggressive in sounding the alert. My other car is more vigilant.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're considering one with sunroof, be sure to sit in it, perhaps in the non-adjustable front passenger seat. Personally, I don't "get" sunroofs. But if you're on the fence, do check it out, have a sit, see how much headroom you have: the sunroof does reduce it. Ours has the JBL sound system, which sounds good to me, but I'm pretty clueless: could be the base sound system would be ok too. The base model may not have touch activation lock/unlock, or not on both front doors and the hatch? Something to look into.