1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet Another Hybrid Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by wegortw, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if this would be a viable business opportunity: for someone to either at your place or their shop: do this job similar to OP. As opposed to swapping complete batteries, core charges. It seems like it takes a fair degree of labour and skill, and can be done right.

With some standards in place, an accreditation procedure, maybe it could fly?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's awfully time consuming, isn't that what dorman does?

3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A lot more heavy lifting?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what dorman does (not that well) is take the old battery apart in the shop, replace and rebalance the cells, clean or replace other parts as necessary. it's a multi day process, and would be prohibitive to do in your driveway, or while you wait. swapping batteries is quick and easy, and should cost less, not more. see the o/p's post #16. is that something people would be willing to pay for?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Here's my recent experience: My P0A080 fault code and battery rebuild | PriusChat Very similar to yours and the OP in this thread. Interestingly, I also lost #12.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well you'd feed the guy, he'd move in, walk the dog an stuff while things are charging. Cmon, work with me.

Alright, so it's not so bright.

Deogratias and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hold on, i'm reconsidering, now that you're making it sound so appealing.:p

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. prius200588

prius200588 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I have GREAT news! My $36 replacement cell for #12 arrived Thursday night. It's voltage was 7.61, which exactly matched the other 27 cells. I installed the cell and reassembled the unit. I then attached two buss bars with make-shift chords and clips - one POS; one NEG. I allowed them to "level" overnight. I then installed the monster in the car, connected the NEG on the accessory 12-volt battery, and fired it up. After a short period of "weird" sounds and dash lights, the car ran flawlessly. And today, day #2, it is still running good. The battery gauge on the screen (I think they call it MFD - Multi Function Display) goes up to within 2 bars from the top and slowly works it's way down to within 2 bars of the lowest. I consider this "normal". I just hope I am as lucky as wegortw and get many more thousands of miles on the car.
    Prius Painted.JPG
    I have only one remaining light on my dash. On the right side, there is an exclamation point (!). HMMMM, wonder what mysteries that will entail for me. But I have confidence that you boys on PriusChat have experiences, suggestions and solutions already out there.

Again, thanks to all who took time to write. Sharing information like this on a world-wide basis is just awesome.

TIM.
    Prius Battery Leveling.JPG

wegortw, fotomoto and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hmm. All of mine cleared upon reinstallation of the repaired HV and reconnecting the 12v. Maybe try disconnecting the 12v again for a few minutes and see if that clears it. If not, you'll need to investigate further.

11. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well my words finally bit me in the butt. About 6 months ago I had to replace another cell (still didn't rebalance) then yet another a couple months ago (still didn't rebalance); and finally now a 3rd one is throwing an error. since they are starting to drop like flies now I wanted to ask some questions:

1) Is it because I am not rebalancing them that new cells are failing or does rebalancing just help me find future cells that won't play nice?
    2) Overall with this pack about to have it's 5 replacement cell (1 before I owned it); is it pretty much shot or should I give the rebalancing a go? I have one more "good" cell to swap in even without the rebalancing
    3) Until I fix it (yet again); I basically drive the car around and when the errors present I reset the ECU on the fly via Android phone and bluetooth OBDII; am I asking for trouble (if so what is the worse that could happen)?

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    As of last week, I'm on my 3rd replacement module in my 06 pack and I do grid charging/balancing/reconditioning with a prolong charger and bulb discharger after each repair along with monthly balance charges. Doing so, each repair has lasted about a year before a different, original module fails. As this pack ages and goes through yet another Texas summer, this is becoming a game of diminishing returns so my next move will be to get a new battery from Toyota.

13. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am in Austin, TX so feeling that pain as well; the problem for me is basically the price of a hybrid battery pack "totals" the car; as it's an 2004 with 240k miles on it or so. If I was to sell it under good working condition I would be lucky to get $2k but more likely $1.5k. So the idea of spending $2k from Toyota or even $1k from all the services out there seems like throwing money the wrong way. There is a local DIY'er here who for $500 will rebalance your pack and give you a 1 year warranty, but honestly I feel I would be a non-ideal customer to abuse him or his warranty

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    rebalancing probably extends the time between repairs, but there doesn't seem to be an answer for long term repair. some have better luck than others, and there are probably a lot of factors involved.

15. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Biggest factor I see is first everyone should be load testing your modules when you have the pack apart.......I can't stress this enough, it's not the same as charge/discharge cycling or balancing The strongest cells (lowest voltage drops over time) should go towards the center while the weaker ones go on the outside, this helps even out the pack over time (due to heat buildup). This leads me to my second point and that is that heat kills these batteries much faster than cycling through use. Batteries up north last a relatively long time since they tend to stay much cooler on average while in use (hot season is very short). Bottom line is you're comparing apples to oranges if you try to compare rebuilding results in Texas with someone from Wisconsin.

SFO and wegortw like this.
  16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe too much maintenance on the battery?

SFO likes this.
  17. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most cells in a battery pack are going to wear fairly evenly. If you're now at the point that multiple cells are failing within a fairly short time, then your battery pack is probably shot.

The worst that would likely happen if you keep driving the car with a faulty battery is the car breaks down while you're driving and you get stuck.

18. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After about 8-10 days of continuing to driving it and reset the codes as they come up, I can tell you what finally just happened.

The car still managed to go into sudo limp mode or I hope that is what happened, and that I didn't blow my transaxle/MG2. I say sudo limp b/c last time it did this I remember not being able to get above 10mph, but this time around after some heavy laboring I could get it up to 40-50mph but only after lots of laboring (as it went into this mode just as I was hitting an on ramp of a highway; luckily it was on/off and I was only about a mile from home).

It was already my goal to tear down and replace the bad cell today, so I can let y'all know after I am done if I caused more damage or not.

19. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Maybe, who knows. Or it could have been due to sitting for 17+ days (wife was suppose to drive it while son & I were away but didn't).

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Remember the only reason the battery lasts 10 years is because Toyota limits the SOC of the battery to 40% - 80%. If you constantly go outside that range, it'll decrease the battery life significantly

MTL_hihy likes this.