1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another oil catch can install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by fanplant, Nov 18, 2021.

1. fanplant

fanplant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    2014 level 5 with 56000 miles

I wanted to install a catch can before anything clogged in the egr cooler or anything else. Read a bunch here. I did it with a coupling (pex brass 1/2" coupling) and I didn't cut the hose "just in case". I mounted it to the motor mount and left a short piece of hode out the drain valve. I should be able to drain it just by reaching up when it's on ramps. I folded the drain hose over for now.

If I have any oil in the intake will it work its way out and be burnt or should I take off the intake?

Thanks for reading
    20211118_161846.jpg 20211118_154649.jpg 20211118_164436.jpg 20211118_164556.jpg

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This OCC is the one with the sintered brass filter?

Be careful with that, it can be too restrictive to air flow, especially when the filter gets dirty over time.

If it allows too much pressure to build in the crankcase, seals can start to leak, or oil can be pushed out of the oil dipstick tube.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. fanplant

fanplant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Why yes it is! The nut of the filter holds a little deflecter for the inlets. I guess I have to get rid of the little brass seeds and put it back without. How long do you think I have? It got cold today, yesterday was nice and warm...

4. fanplant

fanplant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's not the fine cone type. It is flat and coarser than the one I found a pic of here:
    Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | Page 33 | PriusChat
    I bought two occ at the same time but they're so poorly made I cross threaded one, when I get it open I'll post a pic. For now here's a pic from the link above:
    139016_Screen_Shot_2018-01-26_at_3.52.22_PM.png

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To answer your question, it’s a good idea to remove and clean the intake manifold. It’s not difficult. In particular, there are small passages above each of the large inlet passages, used for EGR. IOW, there’s a large EGR inlet on the side, and it passes to four small holes, one above each port. These tend to clog. I don’t think you need to go nuts, just run a pipe cleaner thru each to be sure they’re unclogged. You can scrub the throttle body while you’re at it.

6. fanplant

fanplant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    thanks! perhaps come springtime and I'll take that sintered filter out. I cleaned the egr cooler for my brothers gen3 and would rather not need to do mine but at 56k who knows. Nice thing is I have a spare egr cooler from my brothers car.