1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

“Grille Shutter Inoperative, Please See Dealer”

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tchan2700, Dec 10, 2021.

1. tchan2700

tchan2700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a 2017 Prime. Was wondering if anyone else had this issue. I have an appt with the dealer this Saturday. Looks like it will still be covered under the emissions warranty for CA cars.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've seen it mentioned a time or two. Possibly it's just a rock or something that got kicked up by the vehicle in front of you and managed to get wedged in the grill, preventing them from closing. A loose connection is also possible.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah wouldn't hurt to just have a look.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Betcha they find something else wrong with the car..... ;)

vvillovv likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All cars have something wrong with them if you look closely enough. :D

vvillovv and douglasjre like this.
  6. tchan2700

tchan2700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK they are ordering a part for my car. At first they said it wasn't covered under warranty until I showed them the TSB that I downloaded to my phone. For once, lucky to live in CA, no jokes please! Here is the TSB number if anyone needs it later:

T-SB-0319-17 MIL "ON" DTC P05A072 Due to Debris Stuck in the Active Grille Shutter

Prius Prime
    53019-47010 53019-47011 Shutter Sub-assy, Radiator 1
    52618-47110 52618-47111 Absorber, Front Bumper, Lower 1
    88940-47030 88940-47031 Actuator Assy, Swing Grille 1

7. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is insane! It's as if you bought your car from a criminal organization! You took your car to a Dealer, a large company authorized by the manufacturer to have the right to sell, and service, their products - authorized to represent them to those interested in buying and operating their products. Yet this Dealer tried to steal from you, either intentionally or through ignorance. Any reasonable person would believe that the Dealer, the official authorized representative of the manufacturer, would know more about what is covered than any other person.

In a rational world no manufacturer would tolerate their ultimate customers being treated in this manner by their authorized representatives. No manufacturer makes a car so good that customers are willing to be stolen from by that manufacturer's representatives.

I would really like to hear from those who have had outstandingly good service/treatment from other car manufacturer's dealers. This will perhaps help to shine a light on Toyota and make them aware that competition still exists, and if your representatives steal or attempt to steal from customers it is going to reflect directly on Toyota and negatively influence anyone considering buying a Toyota.

8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    See also the previous thread about this bulletin, which includes (at the end) a link to a copy.

9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota dealer two miles from my house is where I go on those rare occasions when I need a pro. They have occasionally offered a service I wasn't interested in but never ever tried to talk me into something once I declined. On the other hand, they have twice spent considerable unbilled time trying to save me money by chasing down a correct diagnosis rather than throwing my money into a guessing game of parts replacement. They gave me a better price on new tires than the discount stores.

10. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now this is a Toyota dealer which should be named an applauded. Perhaps by specifically identifying the good and the bad dealers, the demise of the bad dealers will be hastened. And the good dealers will prosper, as a direct result of their superior treatment of customers. Count yourself very fortunate that you have access to an honest dealer. Congratulations on the experiences you recounted.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The tone of the service department can change with the personnel: a nearby Honda dealership had ONE great service manager. I can recall a few times we were in with issues, that he came out to the waiting room, explained what the problem was, outlined the options, their pros-and-cons.

Sadly he wasn't there long. Last I heard he was teaching a mechanics course at a local trade college.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for that TSB, will have to store it in case my wife's 2017 Prius ever sees the issue.

As a DIYer who rarely uses the dealer, I worry about not being aware of any new TSB's on our Toyota's. I'm going to buy a short subscription to techinfo.toyota.com (TIS) occasionally and look up all of our Toyota's for info (recalls, TSB's, repair items I'm planning, etc.)

vvillovv likes this.
  13. DaymanSalvort

DaymanSalvort New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Four
    Is someone having the same problem in new model ?

14. Prius Priapism

Prius Priapism New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just had this happen to my 2018 Prius Prime. Fixed for $236 by ordering the OEM actuator. Installed easily by removing the front bumper cover and unplugging the malfunctioning actuator. The shutter subassembly was in good shape, just needed new actuator. 88940-47030 88940-47031 . You will need a 10mm socket and flat blade screwdriver to pop out the plastic fasteners. Once you are done you need to drive the car to initialize the new actuator.

Attached Files:

15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nicely done! But from that picture, it looks like it ought to cost about $10. :eek:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah, using the same eccentric cycloid arrangement they used in the park actuator. Should give them a fair bit of torque.

Any sign of what went wrong with the old one?

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    One of a stealerships favorite scenarios. They say you're not covered, you pay for it, then submit it to the manufacturer anyway. No one's the wiser
    chi ching

vvillovv likes this.
  19. Prius Priapism

Prius Priapism New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Unfortunately, no. I did have part of a squished beer can stuck in the shutter assembly. Clearing the debris didn’t clear the code, so I replaced the actuator because the shutters moved normally. The unit is sealed, so there’s no repairing it. There was a permanent magnet around the shaft and it was snapped in half.

20. eagleye1

eagleye1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    IV
    Hi
    Unfortunately, I have had the message on my dashboard for the past few months. Grille Shutter is Inoperative, Please See the Dealer.
    I live in NEW JERSEY can Toyota help me with the recall?
    If not how hard is it to remove the front bumper and replace the active Grill shutter?