1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

“Grille Shutter Inoperative, Please See Dealer”

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tchan2700, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As far as I know, there isn’t a safety recall or service campaign for this, only a technical service bulletin. If you follow the link in post #8 above, scroll down to the end of that thread, click the link to the bulletin (T-SB-0319-17), and read the second page, you’ll see:

“For California specification vehicles sold, registered, and operated in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont, this repair is covered under the California Emission Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 180 months or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.” (emphasis added)​

As stated on page 3 of the bulletin, it applies only if there are “witness marks or debris” on the grille shutter. That doesn’t imply that a grille shutter problem with a different cause would or wouldn’t be covered under the emissions warranty, by the way, only that the bulletin doesn’t have any advice on how to diagnose it.

2. RogerPriusTX

RogerPriusTX New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This warning just showed up on my 2018 Prius Prime. I have an appointment tomorrow... I purchased a Platinum extended warranty, and I certainly hope it will be covered. I just purchased this car, and will be rather annoyed if this isn't covered. From reading here, I'm a bit concerned.