1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Toyota Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) Five

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by J.Ringo, Mar 6, 2016.

1. J.Ringo

J.Ringo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    as a "car guy" I've been looking for a Prius for my sister and her family and came across a 2012 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) 5 w/65k for $16,995.

It looks great and drove fine. I was slightly taken back by this "shudder" under take off (as the normal, non-v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) Prii's I drove didn't have it or it wasn't noticeable). The salesman said it was normal. As you can't trust a salesman, I also drove the brand new Prius v they had on the lot with 20 miles on the odometer. It also had a shudder as the gas engine kicked on from stops, so that worry was alleviated.

We then went inside to get the salesman's card and I wanted to see the CarFax. I was taken back when I saw it was sold at an auction and that it had been a corporate fleet vehicle in California then the "owner" moved to Arizona (we're in Oregon). I also saw that it was a Toyota Certified Used Hybrid...after it was for sale for over three weeks at this dealer. There's also no maintenance records on the CarFax.

It drove nearly identical to the 2016 with 20 miles on it. It's clean, the light grey leather(?) interior is perfect. There's no stains anywhere. Has a 3M clear bra/nose. Everything works. I wanted to lean away but my sister is stuck on that it's loaded and $3-4k less than comparable cars. She's ready to buy it tomorrow (Sunday).

Being a corporate fleet car, does it still have the extended hybrid system warranty? If so, is it longer because it was a California car...or no because it was never sold to a "person"? Or does it have no warranty past the CPO warranty? I'm lost.

What do you experts think?

toyo v.JPG

Here's some pics.

Attached Files:

#1 J.Ringo, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I also have a 2012 v and my manual says "These warranties apply to all 2012 model year Prius V vehicles distributed by Toyota that are originally sold by an authorized dealer in the United States and normally operated or touring in the United States, U.S. territories or Canada." So I do not see an exemption for fleet vehicles. - http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-12PriusV/pdf/2012_Toyota_Prius-V_WMG.pdf (page 11)

As I understand Toyota's CARB 150,000 mile/ 10 year warranty, two events are important, was it purchased in a CARB state, (and it was) and is it currently registered in a CARB state? (and it is, although the Oregon law does not have all CARB provisions) Again the details are in the manual above, and Toyota specifically mentions all three states as CARB states. (Arizona dropped CARB status later, but you are not currently registered in AZ) The 2014 list of CARB States in the US | PriusChat

If you have the VIN, this site will list all service performed at a Toyota dealership: Sign-In

(the shudder you mention will be more noticeable when the car is cold and less so when warmed up)

#2 JimboPalmer, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  3. Zrkia

Zrkia Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012 v with 50K miles, which I have owned since new. When the ICE starts I can hear it, and feel increased power, but I have never experienced a "shudder."

4. J.Ringo

J.Ringo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the informative post, Jimbo.

Unfortunately, the dealer service history looks kind of bare:
    9/29/15
    Dealer
    Big Two Toyota Scion of Chandler
    Repair Order Number: 6246317

2012 - 2014 PRIUS SOFTWARE UPDATE, GUEST STATES PERFORM TOYOTACARE PLUS 30K WITH SYNTHETIC OIL. REPLACE OIL AND FIL, INSPECT FLOORMATS, VERIFY THE CONDITION OF DRIVERS FRONT MAT. REMOVE DRIVERS FLO, NEXT SERVICE APPOINTMENT, BULB - TURNING INDICATOR FRONT: LEFT SIDE OUT, SHOCK ABSORBER REPLACEMENT - REAR: RIGHT SIDE LEAK ING, GUEST REQUEST 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT ALIGN FRONT REAR 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT: DUE TO TIR, GUEST STATES CHECK AND ADVISE ON BATTERY BATTERY REPLACE ONLY (NON-HYBRID), MOUNT AND BALANCE TIRE 4 TIRES SHOWING CORD INSIDE EDGE WEAR

6/26/15
    Dealer
    Repair Order Number: 6226730
    TOYOTA AUTO CARE MINOR, INSPECT FLOORMATS, VERIFY THE CONDITION OF DRIVERS FRONT MAT. REMOVE DRIVERS FLO, 02TOZCTAC, C/S LEFT TURN SIGNAL BLINKS FAST

4/6/15
    Dealer
    Repair Order Number: 6209373
    AUTOCARE NONLOF 5K

12/23/14
    Dealer

Repair Order Number: 0017205
    40K SERVICE SAFETY INSPECTION WRITE INFO IN GUIDE % FRONT BRAKES % REAR BRA

10/8/14
    Dealer

Repair Order Number: 0013107
    40K SERVICE SAFETY INSPECTION WRITE INFO IN GUIDE % FRONT BRAKES % REAR BRA, WINDSHIELD WIPERS--REPLACE W/S WIPER INSERTS, BRAKES --BRAKES ARE SQUEAKING ALOT

8/6/14
    Dealer

Repair Order Number: 0011043
    SAFETY INSPECTIOCUSTOMER WILL TAKE VEHICLE ON A LONG TRIP.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Personally if one of you wants the 2016 I would go with that since you indicate a good price is available. You do get improved crash protection in a 2016 versus a 2012 which could be very significant under the worse circumstances.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with the 2016. eels like a lot of money for a '12 with 65,000 miles.

7. J.Ringo

J.Ringo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, no, I just drove the 2016 to verify the small shudder of the ICE kicking on from stops when cold. The 2016 v was $30k. They have the 2012 v 5at $16,995 as Toyota Certified Used (12k/12months) and the remaining CARB state hybrid system warranty (8yr/100k).

Two comparable 2012 v 5's are $20k at other dealers- one is a "no-bull" dealer that won't budge on price.

There's one 2012 v 2(or3) from a private seller at also at $16,900 w/64k on it.

In Oregon, clean Prii (and Toyo and Honda in general) demand a premium.

bisco likes this.
  8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ok...your sister wants the 2012? And that's the one you want to "lean away" from? I would still buy the 2016 because of the improved collision protection. Tell her about that. Toyota's Camry, Prius vget worst ratings in new crash test - latimes

9. J.Ringo

J.Ringo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, I don't think she's that worried about one specific crash test (which I've read was a hit piece on Toyota along with the floor mat and unintended acceleration debacle as GovernmentMotors and Chrysler were bankrupt)...or else she would be looking at a Volvo.

Also budget, $17k vs $30k.

#9 J.Ringo, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  10. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No actually this was a real crash test where the driver's side was not protected properly. It was fixed on later models. Check the link. Around here new Prius v's can be had for substantial discount.
    Toyota Prius vLoses 'Recommended' Rating From Consumer Reports

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Both cars should have 150,000 mile/10 year CARB warranties

12. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes a real crash test created in 2012 just after the Prius v introduction called the small overlap crash test designed to replicate a head-on collision where vehicles only just connect at each corner. So rjparker was talking about that one specific crash test that they had no notice so they could design for.

There is always a bigger and smaller fish (better and worse rated vehicle). If you want to feel better about the 2012 - 2014 Prius v just compare it to the Audi A4 and Lexus ES for that one specific crash test. ref Prius v rated poor on new IIHS small overlap frontal crash test | PriusChat

Prius v got a good rating on the small overlap crash test starting in 2015. Details of fix here; 2015 v aced the crash test | PriusChat

Enjoy