1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Airbag Light Help Please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jdz67, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Jdz67

Jdz67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No Code for this Airbag light, I already tried going under passenger seat and driver seat and messing with yellow wire and nothing fixed it, any other solutions? Such an annoying red light!!!! Thanks and have a nice day.

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It doesn't some of this run up into the clock spring or to the combination switch area I don't rightfully remember but I had this on an '09 but I was working on a bunch of stuff at one time and had some of the yellow plugs undone. One was even broken I had to cut one out of another car and splice it in when I got all finished it worked light off . There are yellow plugs under the hood one near the inverter and one near the radiator hose on the passenger side of the car these are the things that sense the crash and set the airbags off all of that stuff needs to be solidly connected and not corroded.

Jdz67 likes this.
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Have you checked for diagnostic trouble codes using a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system or Intelligent Tester device, or using the TC-to-CG blink code procedure in the Repair Manual (more info), which requires no special equipment? If you used only an OBD II code reader, made for engine and emissions diagnosis, it might not have been programmed to retrieve supplemental restraint system (SRS) DTCs.

If there aren’t any DTCs stored, then you’d do the “SRS Warning Light Remains ON” troubleshooting procedure in the Repair Manual. This ends with replacing the center airbag sensor assembly, as a diagnosis of elimination, but I’d expect that the problem is elsewhere, perhaps in the spiral cable sub-assembly (clock spring).

The Repair Manual also has several pages of important warnings about how to avoid personal injury or property damage when working on the SRS. The most important precaution is to disconnect the negative (–) terminal of the auxiliary (12 volt) battery and then wait at least 90 seconds before doing any work on the SRS wiring or parts. Never try to measure the resistance of an airbag or seat belt pretensioner squib, or a cable connected to a squib, since the small current from a meter might be enough to fire the squib. The Repair Manual also explains how to lock and unlock the airbag connectors.

Jdz67 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I thought it ran through the clock spring because of my clock spring started to fail in my '09 the airbag light was on and something else I can't remember what and the radio buttons kind of worked when the steering wheel was in motion only or in some position or being brought to a position. And then I just changed the combination switch along with the clock spring on it rotated around till the marks lined up slid onto my unit. The combination switch I was installing had this low speed for the rear wiper and the switch for the fog lights which I wanted to have.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are a bunch of airbags in the car, and yes, for the one that is in the steering wheel, the squib wiring goes through the spiral cable. None of the others do.

Elektroingenieur kindly mentioned the available ways of getting the airbag system trouble codes, which will indicate which airbags or sensors are involved. That will be a better way of troubleshooting than just randomly fussing with connections in the airbag system.

The other information Elektroingenieur mentioned was the essential safety information to follow before fussing with any of those connections, whether that's informed by the trouble codes or not.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Mine was damaged under hood square black sensor on Gen2 near pass rad hose area . Removed replaced with one on my parts car . Reset light . Gone . Comes on at start off after chk eng lite . I was finished code I had was comm error . To me that was kinda obvious.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep, there are something like half a dozen airbags and half a dozen airbag sensors located all throughout the car.

Asking the airbag ECU which one it is talking about is a good way to save time finding a solution.

8. Jdz67

Jdz67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Do you recommend this device? If not can you please recommend me one?

9. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I haven’t used that product, so I can’t recommend it. I use a MongoosePro MFC2 cable, part of the official Toyota Techstream Lite kit, and a subscription to Toyota TIS, but I realize those options wouldn’t fit every budget, and I hope others might be able to give you some insight into alternatives.

To start troubleshooting the airbag problem described above, however, you wouldn’t need a scan tool at all. Instead, just get access to the Repair Manual (more info) and use the TC-to-CG blink code procedure. If you have a free borrower’s card from the Los Angeles Public Library, look in Chilton Library under 2006 Toyota Prius > Repair > Chassis Electrical > Supplemental Restraint Systems > Airbag System. Start with the topics Precaution, Diagnosis System, DTC Check/Clear, and Diagnostic Trouble Code Chart.

“DLC3” (Data Link Connector 3) is Toyota’s term for the OBD II diagnostic connector under the instrument panel, and the special service tool (SST) 09843-18040 is just a jumper wire—you could use another wire instead, as long as it doesn’t damage the connector terminals.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    But something from one startup to next . You either have to think what that might be . Or go looking at yellow connection points which are SRS plugs. And sensors or white or blue air bags themselves..airbags just sit folded up at the ready.. usually when I e an airbag light on it's because I've something undone working on other shiet. Or I'm trying to disable passenger side sensor or similar. Personally so far my airbag light has been me farting around . Or trying to make vehicle the way it isn't. So far. In Gen2 and 3

11. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can look at this thread.
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?threads/232741/

It reviews several OBD2 scantool apps and devices.

Autel AP200 has codes, data, INF codes for all systems (+ performs several "service functions" like ABS bleeding). No added cost for the first brand. Additional brands are by subscription.

XTool ThinkDiag is very close to full Techstream functionality, but it has annual subscription. Covers all brands.

Anyscan A30 has codes, data, bidirectional controls, and some service functions (depends on the variant - A30, A30D, A30M). More $$, but no subscription. Covers all brands.

Mucar has basic codes and data for all systems and all brands (but no INF codes). Service functions are by subscription.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.