1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Aptera EV Update

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by drash, Jan 25, 2023.

Tags:
  1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An update to the thread created in 2020. Aptera announced they hope to start production by the end of 2023. So the first units will be the Aptera Launch Edition. The 700W solar panels hope to give the car about 40 miles of range per day and claims a range of 400 miles. The 3 wheel drive 2 seater has 32.5 cubic feet of storage and can reach 60 mph in about 4 seconds. Aptera has 40,000 reservations and needs an additional $50 Million in funding to start production. They expect to build 10,000 a year and then switch to 20,000. At that rate it'll take 2 1/2 years to clear their reservations. It is a sharp looking vehicle. Sorry @Mendel Leisk and @bisco, no spare. :unsure:

Aptera attempting a come back. | PriusChat
    ApteraLaunchEdition.png
    Aptera EV Is A Solar-Powered Car With Butterfly Doors | CarBuzz

At no point did I call it a car like Aptera wants. :D

Mendel Leisk and Isaac Zachary like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you could probably drive it on the two rear wheels :p

if it could fly, i might buy one

3. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at the front, a good stiff wind, it might :eek:.

bisco likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    When this company/design was liquidated / belly up (iirc sometime prior to 2010ish) about 1½ decades ago, us folks that had $500 deposits on the "soon to be in production Aptera" felt lucky to get our money back.
    Disappointments of Future Passed: Aptera to Refund Customer Deposits on 2e EV
    Thinking of the common house fly bashing itself aimlessly against the inside of a car's windshield in order to escape . . . . doing the same thing over & over as tho there will be a different result? So, what's different from back then compared to now.
    Modernly we have cars that do NOT have 3 points that hit pot holes . . . . cars have just to points & 2 wheel motorbikes have just one. Pull up to a McDonald's drive in-window, & you DON'T have to get out of the car because your door is right there ... unlike the Aptera wheels out there on a boom. Certainly it looks nice & cool & may be very efficient if it ever made it into production ... but a glorified Cushman 3 wheeler is not what's on most folks mind for transportation.
    Calling it 'solar' is a stretch too. Sure with ideal summer sun, flat ground, cloudless long days, in southern hemispheres, might give some reasonable regen. but up north, short days, rain & clouds, low northern azimuth, + running a cabin heater - welcome to a more realistic reality.
    Still, i wish 'em well.

#5 hill, Jan 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    bwilson4web likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder what the big investors see

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  8. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Everything has pros and cons. There are abilities the commercially available Apteras will have that no other car currently has. A 400 mile range for one. Yes, winter will bring that range number down. But I'll be very interested to see people comparing the range to the longest range Teslas.

Also, with a more efficient driver train, the charing time will be much quicker. Need 100 miles? The same charger, be it a level 1, a level 2 or a DC quick charge station of 40KW will all give those 100 miles to the Aptera in half the time it takes any other EV out there.

And sure, the solar won't work in Alaska in the winter. But the times it does work will be amazing for those who can benefit from it. No one has any chance of getting the same results by strapping a solar panel to the top of their Tesla.

9. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aptera won’t be the only one with a 400 mile EV. Lucid and Mercedes both sell one.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would be more impressed with:
    upload_2023-1-25_22-22-30.png
    Source: Solar Electric Skateboard Hits Kickstarter (video) - Geeky Gadgets

. . .
    The YoungBoard only requires four hours of sunlight to fully charge the onboard Lithium polymer battery and is then capable of reaching a maximum speed of 30 km/h and offers a range of up to 16 km.
    . . .

It would solve the 'last mile' problem when the nearest EVSE is a mile away.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  11. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. I see I missed that. But on the other hand we're talking $33K compared to over $80 and up. Even a Tesla with nearly half the range costs more.

As you've said, to each his own. I'm personally impressed with Aptera, but not so much with any other vehicle offering.

With the "last mile" problem you could also add a gasoline powered skateboard for those that run out of gas.

Personally I've both ran out of gas in a gasoline powered car and have ran out of electricity in an EV. And yes, the EV was more of a hassle as they don't sell "electricty" cans at WalMart. But that doesn't mean I'd never buy an EV again.

#11 Isaac Zachary, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My gasoline studies required running out of gas over 40 times with a planned, spare gallon of the next gasoline to test (see Priuschat archives.) I also ran out in both the Gen 3 and Prius Prime (DO NOT RUN OUT OF GAS IN PRIME WITHOUT A WAY TO DO A 12 V POWER RESET!)

In my Tesla, I have once gotten low enough to use a 110-120 VAC outlet to reach the next L2 charging location. I've also carried a spare 1 gallon gas can in the 2014 BMW i3-REx used once when at 2 AM a planned truck stop was found closed.

Bob Wilson

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The 400 mile Aptera is the one they start production with. There is 250 mile for lowest price one, plus 600 and 1000 mile options.

Miles per hour charging is over 50 with Level 2 AC.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    400 miles is great, but it looks more like an around town car to me. maybe a florida development to replace the golf cart.
    then the solar would give you completely free transportation

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think they are planning on selling many of those real long range ones. The planned production schedule is 400, 250, 600, and then 1000. The bigger batteries are probably more for those that can take more advantage of the solar. The amount of PV coverage is also selectable. Though the range could be a consideration for those that simply can't charge every day. A thousand miles could be good for a month for many.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  16. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a use case for it. A commuter car. Many places are sunny enough you may not need to hardly ever plug in. And even if you live in where it's overcast all the time, the efficiency makes this car viable to charge off of 120V. This is the kind of car an appartment dweller can commute with.

Thinking of all the college kids around here, this would be a perfect EV for them right now since there are only two (IIRC) EV charging places on campus and no rental housing with level 2 charging that I know of. But a lot of apartments and homes do have a 120V outlet on the front of each parking spot (for engine block heaters).

The other use case is a single person or couple's road trip EV. You could do a 600 or 700 mile drive and only have to stop to charge for an hour once. In the 1000 mile version it'll require zero stops.

Trollbait likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any pics of storage space for a long road trip?

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    [​IMG]
    Their site is claiming 25 cu.ft.

TGrracie, bisco and Isaac Zachary like this.
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    right .... the stop in the ditch - bottom of the canyon - or oncoming head on traffic falling asleep.
    as one who's done many a cannonball run ... it's risky at best. from John Selden's Table-Talk (c. 1654) "do as I say - not as I do"

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    looks very spacious, i prefer the large footprint to height