Brakes - the good the bad the ugly

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vvillovv, Oct 13, 2020.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I started to wipe the pins before I thought to snap a shot. Both had the Permatex Ceramic Brake grease on the tips like that lower pin with the rubber seal. Last year I couldn't get that lower pin to move much at all by hand on either side. This year after wiping (what I'm thinking was some extra grease) I got both pins moving freely by hand before I reassembled. I'll be doing more on both sides as time permits, and trying to get a handle on why the inner pad(s) is(are) gettin all kinackered so fast. ;) Did you notice the flaky separation on the edge of the inner pad? I didn't see that until I looked at the pics. In the pic it looks like the pad is wearing wavy, like the wheels not balanced or mounted wrong.

#21 vvillovv, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sand Pounder

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think one of the Permatex pin grease swells rubber?

Try the Toyota stuff (@ChapmanF) has supplied info, up the page)?

Just FWIW Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant is what I’ve used a couple of times now on our 2010, no problems.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have a list of items I made last week that I need and the lithium glycol soap is on it. I should also top off the reservoirs with (super long 00272-SLLC2 permixed) or (long life 00272-1LLAC-01 undiluted ) , thanks for that info too !!! The list keeps changing here and there as I get deeper into 2021 maintenance.
    I sprayed down the rubber hoses in the engine bay with meguiars m40 rubber/vinyl dressing (use it on the all weather mats too). I found that the hoses under the 12 volt are 3 or 4 times as dirty as the rest of the bay, added to list of chores.
    I took a snap of the engine bay just before I buttoned everything up the other day, but it was dark already and the engine bay pic is not much clearer than my profile avatar, so I didn't bother with the upload. I'll get a shot during the day and post that one.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sand Pounder

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just looked that stuff up again, updated my notes:

----
    Toyota recommended caliper pin lube:
    Product Name: Toyota Rubber Grease
    part number: 08887-01206
    Content: Lithium Soap Base Glycol Grease (description on back of tube)
    ----

McGeorge Toyota Parts in the States has it cheap, ditto for Amayama. The latter is more practical for me in Canada.

I've had no issues with AGS Sil-Glyde Brake Lubricant though.

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After seeing the color of the grease on the pins last year and this year I'm not worried about the Permatex Ceramic, except the amount I put in the boots and on the pins. I could be wrong but when I finally got the pins loose this year they both had the cone of grease on the end of each pin. The pins were so tight I'm thinking (I haven't concluded yet) the grease was packed in the bottom of the holes, keeping the pins from sliding. I might know more next time I pull the calies.

Yeah I saw the new name Rubber Grease too. Same part #, Might be what the Lexus team calls it, just for fun, ya know?
    I shop McGeorge and checked out amayama (kinda like seeing toyota in a mirror atoyot or a toy yacht) last time you posted. I'm pretty cheap so I always double check shipping and compare online to local pickup when available or if under time constraints.
    13-oct-2021-engine-bay-meguiars-P1010097.jpg 13-oct-2021-inverter-coolant-tankP1010098.jpg 13-oct-2021-engine-coolant-tankP1010099.jpg 13-oct-2021-trunk-mat-P1010100.jpg
    Engine Bay (dressed a couple days ago)
    Inverter Coolant Tank (low mark)
    Engine Coolant Tank (pic reveals return side overfilled - feed side low - so probably full - which I didn't notice until seeing the pic)
    Trunk Mat (not dressed in several months)

Still not the best lighting. sometimes I just take what I can get.
    Couldn't see the bottom hoses at all in the morning light.

#25 vvillovv, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Mendel Leisk likes this.