1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can I add a backup camera to my 2014 Prius 2 ???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Aexlabs, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Aexlabs

Aexlabs New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2014 Prius Three, not a III because only 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation.
    it did not come with the factory backup camera

I was hit in the rear and the damage to the rear hatch is beyond repair
    so, I need to replace the hatch and NEED TO KNOW, if I can now get a hatch with a factory backup camera and what will I need to do to make it function as if it were a factory installed option?

is this even possible?
    thanks in advance for any and all advise

2. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Assuming that you already have a touch screen head unit, then the answer is "Yes, it's possible."

In your scenario, you'll need to run a wire from the new hatch hatch to the head unit. Then you'll need to plug it in to the OEM wiring harness -- and this is where I'm not so sure. I'm not sure you can buy that wiring harness and adapter alone.

In my case, I added the backup camera to my 2014 Prius 2 with the kit on Amazon: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CD4242I

I recommend watching the video to give you some sense of the scope.

At about 6:00 minutes into the video you'll see the business about connecting to the head unit.

For me, this mod was easy because the kit and the video gave me everything I needed.

IMHO, I would not buy a hatch with a camera (if that adds any additional cost) and instead I'd just get the kit which will already includes the necessary wiring and adapter harnesses.

If that approach doesn't work for you, then maybe you should read this thread:
    Backup Camera for Prius 2 | PriusChat
    This thread was started when there (evidently) wasn't a plug-n-play kit with a video.

3. Aexlabs

Aexlabs New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks Dylan
    I read all that before I posted this thread,
    My question is, what do I need to do to get a factory installed camera in hatch to work in a vehicle that did not originally have the option? I must replace my rear hatch door and can get one with the factory camera, so again, what needs to be done to make rear camera operable or will in plug in and work???

In the quote above, if applicable to the new hatch with camera synario, implies that my existing harness does not contain a pre-run wire for camera???
    please advise
    thanks

#3 Aexlabs, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  4. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aexlabs,
    If the 2014's work the same way as the 2012 and 2013, you need a hatch with the camera and the hatch wiring harness that has
    the 4 camera wires. On a non camera car, the 4 camera wires end at a connector in the roof. The hatch wiring harness with camera
    wires plugs into that connector and extends the wires to the camera. When the car starts, the Head Unit will use those 4 wires to see
    if the camera is there and if so, will display the picture from the camera when the car is put in reverse. How are you getting a hatch
    with a camera in it (and hopefully the camera hatch wiring harness) ?
    Take a look at append 41 in this thread:
    Adding backup camera to 2012 non-nav Prius 2 with touch screen | PriusChat

5. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the car was not manufactured with the camera then there will be no wiring harness for it. That's why I recommend just getting the full camera install kit. Getting a hatch with a camera already in it creates more problems that in solves.

James Powers likes this.
  6. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The backup camera from the factory is junk it doesn't have the grid lines I'm looking to replace it if possible

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Aexlabs

Aexlabs New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Dylan, our1vue, and heyphillip

after much consideration I think the easiest and best answer is an after market backup cam kit,
    any recommendations on the best, cost no object, cam kit?
    I would like it to be; not obvious, and good quality (resolution)

I really appreciate all the input

#7 Aexlabs, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  8. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It has been my experience that the grid lines are added by the head unit. My OEM head unit had no grid lines at all. Two head units since then the grid lines were different on each one. Adding a canbus adapter with an Android unit and I've seen grid lines that move with the steering wheel. (@sfv41901)

Of course I'm endorsing the one that I chose (see Amazon link above). It's basically indistinguishable from OEM Toyota equipment.

9. Aexlabs

Aexlabs New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Dylan
    for $99 and your recommend, I bought one yesterday

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  10. dabreeze21

dabreeze21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you have to make any cuts in the metal for this? My Prius has the hole already cut for backup camera, slightly offset to the left of the center of the license plate. I really do not want to cut the metal anywhere. Thanks for the info.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We have the factory back up camera, on our 2010 Canadian Touring: rarely if ever find it useful, pay it any mind. For me the main downside is the funhouse wide-angle field of view: objects are definitely closer than they appear.

12. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's a plastic slug that might need to be drilled. But ideally the camera in your kit should already be fitted to a bracket that replaces the slug.

[​IMG]

Here's a screen grab from the video that shows the the guy drilling the plastic slug.

upload_2018-3-2_17-33-11.png

13. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    dabreeze21,
    On my 2012, I just removed the plastic slug and snapped in the camera. Some cameras are held in by a threaded rod and
    some just snap in. Dylan Doxey picture above is a snap in camera. I did have to drill a small hole to get the
    wires from the outside of the car to the inside of the car.

14. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    chuckeay likes this.