1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Do you need underbody rust protection on new Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Salamander_King, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No smell. sponge brushes work good. I'd agree a spray is a lot easier, think linseed oil would tend to gum up any kiind of spritz bottle. Suprisingly good though: a year later, through one winter, it's protected good.

2. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe rust-mort is similar. I've found that locally. Still, it seems like brushing off anything loose, and then applying a tenacious sealant, is quite effective.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, a question! Can I apply any rust protection onto the exhaust system?

As you can see in my pic of PRIME underbody Do you need underbody rust protection on new Prime? | Page 2 | PriusChat entire exhaust system is exposed to road element. I can already see rust developing on some areas of pipes. With the heat generated on those elements, I don't think I can spray any rust protection. Even if I did, it would quickly burn off. Looking up the cost of those parts, turned out they are expensive. The front part of exhaust assembly which include CAT is over $1000 (#17410 in the parts diagram), the rear part that includes middle pipe, muffler and tailpipe are ~$500 and one-piece structure (#17430 in the parts diagram). I had replaced the muffler on my old Civic 4 times in 15 years of ownership due to rusting problem. If I have to do that on my PRIME, that would be very expensive.

Any good way to prevent exhaust system from rusting?

Annotation 2019-04-07 073723.jpg

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Exhaust systems have been upgraded to be more corrosion resistant over the past 15 years or more. All used to be made of mild steel and rusted away readily within 3-4 years. The roads and highways used to be lined with muffler shops.

Now, the muffler shops are gone, in that most all exhaust systems come from the factory with 410 or even better 304 grade stainless steel.

Most all erstwhile muffler shops do brakes, oil changes and suspension work.

The aftermarkets replacements are not always stainless steel but mild steel to keep the price down for the consumer. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, OEM replacements are your best option.

Short trips are also a killer of exhaust systems, because condensation bearing corrosive acids are not "burned" off.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Exhaust systems I would just clean it, if you're under there and ambitiously cleaning. Maybe spray around those grommets with silicone spray, but avoid overspray onto the main exhaust pipes.

My main targets (3rd gen) were the suspension components, large framing pieces, especially the weld zones, the shock absorber joints, and the big bolts.

Those were the items that were rusting like crazy after a few years.

6. So........... am I in the wrong to just use a touchless car wash once a month (it does the undercarriage), instead of rust proofing? That seems like a lot of work.

7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rust is caused by the marriage of water and metal left exposed to the air over long periods of time. The colder the air, the longer the exposure. In your case, the once a month car wash is helping in non-cold months, therefore keeping rust down. But doing it in the winter may excelerate rust. I would buy that stuff that Homedepot sells and spray once a year. Hopefully this is helpful for you.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  8. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Car washes do not use clean city water. They filter and recycle the old stuff. There is no way to filter out salt except by expensive distillation or reverse osmosis.

So, I would not go to any car wash during the winter salting season. Biological dust and debris also holds salt water and electrolytes between metal parts and promote rust.

The key to rustproofing is to coat the spaces where metal contacts with metal or plastic to form a layer of protection.

9. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Exhaust systems rust from the Inside Out much quicker than from the outside in.

Rob43

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. This is the rust from outside I am worried about. This much rust in less than 2 years. The parts PIPE ASSEMBLY, EXHAUST, FRONT (1741037B52) cost $1,183.49.

Should I do something about it? Or, Can I do anything about it???

IMG_20190330_081722_c.jpg

11. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's nothing you can do about that at any "reasonable" price point.

Any type of spray, lube, or coating just won't work because of the heat that's involved. As mentioned by Georgina Rudkus in post #44:
    "Short trips are also a killer of exhaust systems, because condensation bearing corrosive acids are not "burned" off."

This corrosive condensation is collecting Inside your exhaust where you can't see it. If you've ever seen/followed a car (ICE) at start up, you probably remember the tail pipe spitting what looks like liquid out of it. That liquid is all the condensation that build up from the last time the car was parked, it was sitting inside the exhaust system doing its dirty work...Rust.

Rob43

#51 Rob43, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  12. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed. There are many conflicting factors in designing and manufacturing an exhaust system. The thickness or thinness of the metal is determined by the weight of the system and the gas mileage burden as well as the cost of the metal. In the current incarnation the reduction in weight is offset by using more corrosion materials usually stainless steels. 410 grade is apparently used as it is economical but not totally as corrosion resistant as higher nickel and chromium bearing austensic alloys like 304 or 18-8.

All stainless steel alloys corrode in high heat oxidizing environments. Outside browning and surface corrosion is apparently only visual and not damaging.

Thicker metal parts in the exhaust system are usually not stainless steel to save money. In all but heavily salted road environments, it is not a problem. Unfortunately, it is in your area. Other than machining and installing stainless steel equivalent replacements, there is really no solution.

Replacing standard plated steel fasteners with stainless or titanium nuts and bolts would be helpful, if they are available in the sizes required. Dissembling fasteners and coating the threads with 2500 degrees plus anti-seize lubricants would help and allow saving some components, if not all, when future service is needed.

HPrimeAdvanced and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the great info. Though I was hoping to hear about miracle trick to prevent rusting so I do not have to replace the exhaust system before I have to retire my car, but if I have to replace my exhaust at some point I will keep in my mind to spend a big money on OEM parts or equivalent. sigh

srivenkat and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  14. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "IF" this ever becomes a real problem for you, you could look at lower mileage crashed/auto recycler Prius Primes from areas that don't use salt on their winter roads. It's might be possible to find a suitable replacement for ~50 cents on the dollar, if that time comes.

Rob43

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I hope I never have to come to that. Please see my pic on comment #24 Do you need underbody rust protection on new Prime? | Page 2 | PriusChat That was my 12 years old Sienna. As you can see, the exhaust was still in good shape, but the rear differential is totally rusted out. At the least Toyota OEM exhaust seems to be able to outstand our road condition for 12 years. AND I don't have a rear differential on my PRIME.;)

16. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So true. I worked with a guy that lived about 2 miles from work. I think he replaced his muffler every couple of years if not more frequently.

17. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I can't help but go back to my guaranteed solution for rust (whatever the heck that is!!): move to Southern California!!
    I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

Salamander_King and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think the biggest rust issues I've seen under my cars are some of the bolts. Might be good to spray some Fluid Film on them once in awhile.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    3rd gen rear suspension joint:

upload_2019-4-8_13-12-23.png
    Same joint, the bolt head:
    upload_2019-4-8_13-12-54.png
    Shock bolt:
    upload_2019-4-8_13-13-18.png
    And this is a low miles car, on the wet coast, about 3~4 years back.

Same location as above pic, about a year since linseed oil application:

IMG_0324.JPG

#59 Mendel Leisk, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  20. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For exhaust systems, disassembling the nuts and bolts and coating the threads with this anti-seize lubricant might help. Since it withstands temperatures of 2400 degrees F, it might be used to coat bare mild steel components.