1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Does Toyota read Priuschat Forums?

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by briank101, Oct 9, 2012.

1. briank101

briank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has there been any evidence that the Prius development teams read, review, and take into consideration anything on Priuschat. For Toyota I would think that it is free owner feedback, research, and a source for idea generation. Is anyone from the Toyota development team on Priuschat that can give answers or would there be legal/liability reasons that they can't participate? If a poster comes up with a great idea regarding fuel economy improvement, do you think Toyota will ever see it. Anybody a former Priuschat member that subsequently became a part of the Prius team at Toyota?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, Toyota does read the forums, and contributes here. Their username is Prius Team. You can search for their posts by their username. Actually, here's a link to their profile page: Prius Team | PriusChat

I am not aware of anyone who became a part of the Prius Team who was a member here but some of us moderators and other enthusiasts are "Prius Experts" for Toyota and answer questions on the Prius Facebook page and meet with the Prius Team on occasion. You can click on the Toyota Prius Expert link in my signature to see the Ask an Expert page on Facebook.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. Currently, it seems that Erica, the Prius product manager (in other words, a marketing person) is the main (only?) person who currently posts.

They (Prius Team) have talked about their presence, monitoring and use of consultants a few times before. I think it was Doug who posted about it though, the former Prius product manager.

Doug accidentally outed his other id at Big day ! | Page 2 | PriusChat. :)

I'd imagine that Danny and possibly the moderators might know of what and how many hits come from Toyota owned domains.

The thing is, I'm sure the engineering and development team is WAY ahead of us and any suggestions would have to come way before the vehicle is announced/shown to the public. There also could be legal ramifications about the source of the ideas.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My guess and it is only a guess:

US Marketing team is a definite yes
    Japanese Engineering team, no.

5. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just to add, I know at least one major auto manufacturer has a group devoted to searching online content for references to the company and products, then filtering and sending important information to appropriate people in the corporation. They apparently have a war room of computer equipment and displays, subscriptions to blogs, feeds, forums, thousands of automated search results forwarded, you name it. If it gets indexed by Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc, you can be sure someone at the company knows about it within minutes if it hits major keywords or tags, maybe hours or days otherwise. Whether or not the information any one of us thinks is important actually makes it to a decision maker at the company is another issue, of course.

I assume most of the other auto companies have similar setups. Other consumer products manufacturers might have just one person doing this, or perhaps their online marketing rep handles it as one of their duties.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess the important point is whether they actually ACT on what they read here, or not.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Within the limits of what can be done, they do. For example, about fifty Prius advocates not limited to just PriusChat participants, attended the January 2009, ZVW30 release in Detroit including Ken@Japan, a gentleman from Australia, and another from Europe.

All of us with our continued collaborations here and in other forums, seek to improve Toyota's Prius quality, presence, and penetration. We provide lines of communications, other eyes and voices, not readily found in Toyota organizations. It doesn't mean our 'hair brained schemes' will always be adopted but rather we know Toyota is not deaf.

Bob Wilson

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think when we all started complaining about the 5,000 mile OCI that made a difference. Shortly after that they sent out the adendum.