1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

front license plate mount options for v

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by archibald tuttle, Oct 4, 2018.

1. archibald tuttle

archibald tuttle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no dimples or plate location as indicated on some other/earlier prius models. i've seen a few front plates that look like they are held by tapping screw into a hole drilled in the bumper, e.g., (can't tell with the plate in the way if any insert was used). might have to break down and drill for that or?

I've seen a couple folks make mounts off the tow hooks under the covers on either side in the bumper, e.g. ,but pretty rudimentary. then there are some pricey ready mades. It looks to me like a full thread metric bolt could do the trick for a tighter self made style although not having good system to secure a plate mount on a single bolt means it could get loose and go postal on the bumper i'm trying not to mess up

one other notion is just to bolt or screw to the covers for the tow points themselves. don't know how well they snap in ause never had one off. I could get a spare cover and bolt directly to that - would take a couple more close spaced holes in plate.

probably our state is never going to give up on the front plate so i shouldn't regret a couple holes in the bumper and just get on with it. so maybe back to the notion of just a couple discrete holes and maybe a luv tap frame. I've got some decent pitch stainless truss head k-lath screws that would only need a small hole and would hold pretty well in the bumper material although i'm not sure the depth of that bumper thumper and whether the 1 and 1/4" will be long enough. and then I guess I just have to do your best to center the thing without any locating marks.

any ideas, implementations or results appreciated. not the most major decision i'll make on this but I can see it has confounded folks in the past.

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Contact rho-plate and send them the pictures they ask for. They make a great kit. Follow the installation instructions exactly for best results. Our v already had the front plate bracket screwed in to the front bumper, so I just used it....

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    OP, your profile says you have a 2008 Prius. Did you recently purchase a 2012 or newer Prius v?

We live in a state that issues only rear license plates. A front license plate bracket and mounting hardware was still provided as standard equipment with our 2012 Prius v Five and it still rests in its original plastic bag in the storage compartment under the carpet in the cargo area along with the unused tire tie-down straps that are in their own plastic bag.

Have you checked the storage compartment under the carpet in the cargo area to see if it contains the front license plate bracket?

#4 Offline, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.