1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting ready for 1st Road Trip..."B" shift question

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Mikey The Mailman, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Mikey The Mailman

Mikey The Mailman Delivering snail mail for you ;-)

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

Since owning my Prius C for 15 months now, the longest on it is not even 2 hours (Sac to SF and back). I'm taking my C from Sac to Albuquerque via U.S. 50 in Nevada (also known as America's Loneliest Highway) and Utah before going south via 4 corners and ABQ.

Since US 50 in Nevada has at least 15 passes to drive over I wanted to know what is the maximum speed that I can shift to "B" safety without breaking my C.

Thanks!
    Mikey the Mailman

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    B is a way to make the 4cylinders revolve and with friction slow you down, the brake pedal on the other hand, will not touch the brake pads but charge your traction battery till the cows come home
    B is for stealth in a 30 mph zone, not for continual use on mt passes.

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No, that's entirely wrong. Click and Clack put it like this:

Dear Tom and Ray:

We recently bought a 2008 Prius and just love it, love it, love it. But we're having a bit of a discussion about how to use the "B" on the gearshift. I say it's like a downshift, and you should use it only temporarily, while going down a steep hill or coming to a stop. You use it to save the brakes, then return to "D." My husband thinks it's fine to drive most of the time in the "B" mode, since it regenerates electricity and recharges the battery. Who's correct? And if "B" is the gear to use all the time, why didn't Toyota just call it "D" and forget the separate braking option? -- Gayle

TOM: Gayle, you're 100 percent right, and your husband, unfortunately, has his head up his brake line.

Here's Hobbit's more technical writeup.

minkus likes this.
  4. H. L. Pony

H. L. Pony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I took my Prius C on a road trip last summer and was on US 50 from Ely, Nevada all of the way through Utah and Colorado and into Kansas. It's a really fun drive. I'd like to go back and do it again one day. For what it's worth, I never used the "B" setting at all.

Mikey The Mailman likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Top Speed for a C is 104 MPH so that is the top speed for B as well. Very few of those passes will need B, but it will be safe on all of them. (I would use B if there is more than a 600 foot drop)

6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well they got one tiny portion right. B under the D in the Drive gears? | PriusChat

ftl likes this.
  7. grand total

grand total Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have limited experience of driving a Prius in mountains. What I found worked was to use B when my rate of descent in D became faster than I wanted. If I was still descending too quickly then I used the brake pedal as well.

It was quite interesting to have the Prius make a noise rather like a truck braking using it's "Jake brake" once the battery was full. Also one very strange experience which does not happen in any other car; when the slope flattens out a bit and you need to lightly press the accelerator to maintain the speed you want, the speed of the engine will actually decrease as it provides less braking effort - very non-intuitive.

minkus and ChinchillaGirl like this.
  8. ChinchillaGirl

ChinchillaGirl OrcaCar

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I drive a mountain road daily and use B exactly as described above- when there are curves, it it really wonderful! And, the bonus is that at my 25k check up. my brakes were still in the "like new" range!

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As Jimbo already suggested, max safe speed in 'B' should be the same as in 'D'. At least that is how it works in the regular Liftback, and I've seen nothing to indicate that the others are different.

We crossed Nevada last year, mostly on US-50 but with a diversion to the even lonier SR-2. I'm not recalling it as equaling the mountain descent stresses of some Colorado and Wyoming roads where 'B' was essential.

10. coyote303

coyote303 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    minkus likes this.
  11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  12. coyote303

coyote303 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Oops! I didn't realize we were referencing the same web page.

I remember how excited I was about B mode when I first got my car. Learning what it really did was a little deflating. On the other hand, it's a lot easier not to have to shift to B in order to get the best possible mileage.

13. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I always drove manual transmission cars before I bought my Prius, so the purpose of the B mode was immediately clear to me.

Rob.au likes this.
  14. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks all...this doesn't answer my specific question o_O ... I wanted to know what is the maximum speed that I can shift to "B" safety without breaking my C. In other words, can I shift to B if my C is rolling downhill at 65+ MPH (let's say it's too fast due to curves and of course too expensive for speeding ticket(s)) :eek:

Thanks again and interesting stories you shared about your drives (especially on U.S. 50 in Nevada) (y)

Mikey the Mailman

15. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  16. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In 5 years in the North East I used B only rarely. On a recent drive from Boulder to Aspen and back I used it at least a dozen times.

17. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I live in a mountainous area and I use B often. A few weeks ago I went to the dealer for an oil change and they told me that my breaks are still at 80% @ 38,000 kilometers.

ftl likes this.
  18. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As fast as the car can go, that is still safe. B does not change any gearing. (nothing ever changes any gearing in any Prius) If there WAS a top speed, Toyota would protect you from doing something stupid, you can't shift into P or R over 5 MPH as an example.

Nevada will have very high, laxly enforced, speed limits.

minkus and Mikey The Mailman like this.
  19. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If I use Cruise Control to set specific speed on my C, would it hold around that speed when going somewhat steep downhill? o_O

20. Mikey The Mailman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Jimbo! Of course I have no intention of speeding anyway unless I'm trying to get away from Zombies!:LOL: