1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need to disable my TPMS system

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by gromittoo, Aug 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Some crooks at those "buy here-pay here" hack dealers will just remove and disassemble the display on the car and will just clip the wire on the LED displaying the TPMS fault.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK if true that would make the "v" like Gen2, for which we had no jumper hack as per Gen3.

What I did on Gen2 was found a way to make a fake reading by putting an OEM TPMS in a binder clip. That worked for 2 years until more than one of my TPMS started going bad. Documented elsewhere. Another person @RobH learned how to reprogram TPMS ECS for 5 tires...because he wanted to add the spare...we do not know if you could do the same thing to reduce the number tires looked at.

3. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do both gloveboxes need to be removed to get access to the TPMS ECU?
    Do you need to remove the instrument panel under cover?

4. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There are posts in 4-runner forum where they successfully bypassed the TPMS sensor with a paper clip stuck in a connector on the to short out two pins of the TPMS computer (probably a YouTube video as well). That trick did not work on my 2013 Prius V.

5. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2012 Prius ECU integration box doesn't look like the one in post #6. Is the black connector at the top-left the TPMS ECU? I shorted pin #5 with #7, but the warning light is still on,

Attached Files:

6. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That connector looks like what I remember the TPMS connector looking like. The upper left box is the TPMS box. You can pull it out (with great difficulty), and it will have the part number molded into the outside of the box. My 2013 Prius V had a Red colored box.

I am the original poster of this thread. As I tried to tell you before, the hack to short two pins together did not work for me on my 3rd gen Prius. It might even set a permanent fault code in the TPMS computer. When I finally got Techstream working, I had to clear a fault code to get the light to go out.

I suspect that the signal to turn the light on is sent digitally over one of the several communication buses in the car, and is decoded by the Instrument Cluster. I don't believe it is as simple as the TPMS computer pulling a wire that is directly connecting to the LED to ground or to 12volts.

Unfortunately, there are no legitimate low cost tools to manage the TPMS system in a Toyota. The DIY'r is forced to pay a tire repair shop $25 each time, or get a copy of Techstream whenever you swap rims. Techstream is worth investing in, but I guess that the "Supply Chain" problems means you can no longer buy the cable for under $40.

One other thing:
    if you press the TPMS button under the steering wheel, and the TPMS computer cannot find one of the four TPMS-IDs that it has stored in its registers, you will set a TPMS error code that won't go away. You will need techstream or a tire shop to get rid of that error.

7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have the Mongoose Pro but I'd have to pay Toyota $65 to activate a Techstream subscription, 4 at least for the '12 v.

There are a few "non-Toyota" products, (my current non-conclusive list):

My Foxwell NT510 Elite with Toyota software can program 4.

My Autel ITS600 can try the fifth but fails. (I had a TPMS sensor mounted on the spare).

ATEQ Quickset X, ATEQ support is confident they could program the fifth on a '12 v. I really don't need yet another device hopefully someone can share their experience with this one...

REVVL V+ 5G ?

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not following all the details of this thread, but for Gen3 Prius there was a jumper hack supposed to turn out the TPMS light. There should still be instructions somewhere here on Prius Chat. Whether or not that works for Prius "v", I have no idea.

9. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No "suppose", please show the details if you know how.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PriusII&C likes this.
  11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Try setting the IDs to all 0s. That's what is shown as ID #5 and it won't change on our '12....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For 2006 Prius anyways, resetting the codes can be a temporary fix. When you reset the codes, the car needs to run about 20 minutes or so to query the TPMS and finally decide they are not working. If you never use the car more than 5 or 10 minutes drive, there is never enough time for car to realize the TPMS are dead readings.

My Gen2 experiences here:
    TPMS Management with Techstream | PriusChat

13. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did anyone tried this?

I was thinking of getting an external cap TPMS with Bluetooth and forget about the inside tpms

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have limited capability of changing anything, I believe there is a setting for 4 or 5 sensors, (including spare). So maybe it won't work. I can't even change 4 to 5 as I installed a sensor into the spare...

CPH2551 ?

15. whitrzac

whitrzac New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I tried shorting the 2 wires together with a vampire clip like on my 4runner. Wires on the prius are smaller though...

Ended up using a heavy duty staple from the junk drawer to short out the pins together.

My 2014 V had the exact same pinout as my 2004 4runner.

Running no TPMS sensors now.