1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leak from driver side rear quarter window

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Marcus W., May 6, 2013.

1. Marcus W.

Marcus W. New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on priuschat!

I just bought a 2005 Prius a couple days ago and have spent the weekend discovering "hidden" little issues. One was that after a heavy night a rain there was a small pool of water in the very back of the car underneath the cargo area near the wire that runs from the traction battery. In fact the little prongs holding a slim white (electronic) box connecting to the battery were rusted out.

After 30 minutes with a hose, we found that the driver side rear quarter window (not the movable one but the small pane of glass just before the hatch door) seal was leaking into this area. So I'm wondering what is the best way to seal this window or if anyone else has had this problem. Should I take off the internal paneling and use some silicon caulking from the inside? Anyone know how to do this? Right now I have gorilla tape to cover the seams but hoping for more permanent solution that doesn't involve going to the dealer or body shop.

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Marcus W,

Welcome to PRIUSchat. :)

This is the first time I've seen of a report of leaking around the small rear quarter
    window. Typically water leaks occur around the tail light assemblies or the gasketing
    near the top of rear hatch. In both cases, the reported fix involves reseating the
    gasketing, and sometimes using silicon sealant.

Here are xome threads that discuss the matter. Unfortunately, none adddress the
    rear quarter window. That said, with luck you may find something helpful here:
    Water leak...into spare tire area etc | Page 2 | PriusChat
    Hatchback leak from heavy rain | PriusChat
    Water leak...into spare tire area etc | PriusChat
    Battery Blower fault & water leak | PriusChat

Note: I found these threads using "reaar window leak" as the entry in the search
    function.
    'The search function is your friend.' :)

The Biggest Tool in the Newbie Arsenal | PriusChat

3. Marcus W.

Marcus W. New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you Rokeby!

I did suspect the real tail light and hatch gasket as you mentioned but it does seems to be the rear quarter window. I will explore the links you've listed and will update my experience so others may learn from my car journey :)

4. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Marcus,

Also check the wires going from the roof into the hatch. When you open the hatch on the inside of the hinges there are 2 sets of wires with little rubber and plastic boots. If one of these came loose water will get into the cabin and run where you describe.

Dave